Mar 6, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
On the heels of their 73-64 loss to No. 10 San Diego State on Wednesday, UNLV announced Thursday that guard Bryce Dejean-Jones has been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Dejean-Jones will miss the Runnin’ Rebels game at Nevada on Saturday as a result of the suspension.
Dejean-Jones had a frustrating night against the Aztecs, shooting 1-for-7 from the field and finishing the game with seven points, two assists and three turnovers. And according to Matt Youmans of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, that frustration may have boiled over the immediate aftermath of Wednesday’s defeat.
Visibly upset after UNLV’s 73-64 loss to No. 10 San Diego State on Wednesday night, Dejean-Jones appeared to shove aside teammate Jelan Kendrick and walked off the court without shaking hands with the Aztecs. He was seen leaving the Thomas & Mack Center about 15 minutes after the game.
Starting forward Roscoe Smith missed Wednesday’s game and has yet to be cleared after suffering a concussion against Air Force last weekend, meaning that there’s still a chance that UNLV could be without two starters on Saturday. As for Dejean-Jones, he’s averaging a team-high 13.4 points per game but has struggled with shot selection at times.
Without Dejean-Jones in the lineup more will be asked of guards Kevin Olekaibe and Deville Smith, with the former scoring 11 points against San Diego State. Smith struggled against the Aztecs, finishing with two points and seven turnovers, and he’ll need to play much better against the Wolf Pack’s Deonte Burton.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)