Mar 6, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
On the heels of their 73-64 loss to No. 10 San Diego State on Wednesday, UNLV announced Thursday that guard Bryce Dejean-Jones has been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Dejean-Jones will miss the Runnin’ Rebels game at Nevada on Saturday as a result of the suspension.
Dejean-Jones had a frustrating night against the Aztecs, shooting 1-for-7 from the field and finishing the game with seven points, two assists and three turnovers. And according to Matt Youmans of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, that frustration may have boiled over the immediate aftermath of Wednesday’s defeat.
Visibly upset after UNLV’s 73-64 loss to No. 10 San Diego State on Wednesday night, Dejean-Jones appeared to shove aside teammate Jelan Kendrick and walked off the court without shaking hands with the Aztecs. He was seen leaving the Thomas & Mack Center about 15 minutes after the game.
Starting forward Roscoe Smith missed Wednesday’s game and has yet to be cleared after suffering a concussion against Air Force last weekend, meaning that there’s still a chance that UNLV could be without two starters on Saturday. As for Dejean-Jones, he’s averaging a team-high 13.4 points per game but has struggled with shot selection at times.
Without Dejean-Jones in the lineup more will be asked of guards Kevin Olekaibe and Deville Smith, with the former scoring 11 points against San Diego State. Smith struggled against the Aztecs, finishing with two points and seven turnovers, and he’ll need to play much better against the Wolf Pack’s Deonte Burton.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)