Mar 6, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
On the heels of their 73-64 loss to No. 10 San Diego State on Wednesday, UNLV announced Thursday that guard Bryce Dejean-Jones has been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Dejean-Jones will miss the Runnin’ Rebels game at Nevada on Saturday as a result of the suspension.
Dejean-Jones had a frustrating night against the Aztecs, shooting 1-for-7 from the field and finishing the game with seven points, two assists and three turnovers. And according to Matt Youmans of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, that frustration may have boiled over the immediate aftermath of Wednesday’s defeat.
Visibly upset after UNLV’s 73-64 loss to No. 10 San Diego State on Wednesday night, Dejean-Jones appeared to shove aside teammate Jelan Kendrick and walked off the court without shaking hands with the Aztecs. He was seen leaving the Thomas & Mack Center about 15 minutes after the game.
Starting forward Roscoe Smith missed Wednesday’s game and has yet to be cleared after suffering a concussion against Air Force last weekend, meaning that there’s still a chance that UNLV could be without two starters on Saturday. As for Dejean-Jones, he’s averaging a team-high 13.4 points per game but has struggled with shot selection at times.
Without Dejean-Jones in the lineup more will be asked of guards Kevin Olekaibe and Deville Smith, with the former scoring 11 points against San Diego State. Smith struggled against the Aztecs, finishing with two points and seven turnovers, and he’ll need to play much better against the Wolf Pack’s Deonte Burton.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)