Mar 7, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Conference tournaments in one-bid conferences are incredibly stressful given the stakes, yet those stakes also provide great theater. That was the case in the first Big South quarterfinal of the day between Winthrop and regular season champion High Point. Junior guard Andre Smith, who missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with the Eagles leading 59-58 with 20 seconds remaining, hit a challenged three-pointer with five tenths of a second remaining to give Winthrop the 62-60 victory.
Smith finished the game with 12 points, supplementing a 23-point, four-rebound outing from Keon Moore. John Brown paced the Panthers, who will play in the Postseason NIT, with 17 points and six rebounds.
Vide0 credit: WPDE News
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)