Mar 7, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Conference tournaments in one-bid conferences are incredibly stressful given the stakes, yet those stakes also provide great theater. That was the case in the first Big South quarterfinal of the day between Winthrop and regular season champion High Point. Junior guard Andre Smith, who missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with the Eagles leading 59-58 with 20 seconds remaining, hit a challenged three-pointer with five tenths of a second remaining to give Winthrop the 62-60 victory.
Smith finished the game with 12 points, supplementing a 23-point, four-rebound outing from Keon Moore. John Brown paced the Panthers, who will play in the Postseason NIT, with 17 points and six rebounds.
Vide0 credit: WPDE News
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1