Mar 7, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Conference tournaments in one-bid conferences are incredibly stressful given the stakes, yet those stakes also provide great theater. That was the case in the first Big South quarterfinal of the day between Winthrop and regular season champion High Point. Junior guard Andre Smith, who missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with the Eagles leading 59-58 with 20 seconds remaining, hit a challenged three-pointer with five tenths of a second remaining to give Winthrop the 62-60 victory.
Smith finished the game with 12 points, supplementing a 23-point, four-rebound outing from Keon Moore. John Brown paced the Panthers, who will play in the Postseason NIT, with 17 points and six rebounds.
Vide0 credit: WPDE News
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)