Mar 7, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Conference tournaments in one-bid conferences are incredibly stressful given the stakes, yet those stakes also provide great theater. That was the case in the first Big South quarterfinal of the day between Winthrop and regular season champion High Point. Junior guard Andre Smith, who missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with the Eagles leading 59-58 with 20 seconds remaining, hit a challenged three-pointer with five tenths of a second remaining to give Winthrop the 62-60 victory.
Smith finished the game with 12 points, supplementing a 23-point, four-rebound outing from Keon Moore. John Brown paced the Panthers, who will play in the Postseason NIT, with 17 points and six rebounds.
Vide0 credit: WPDE News
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)