Mar 7, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
When the Big East tournament quarterfinal between UConn and Syracuse began on March 12, 2009, many in attendance expected a spirited game between the two bitter foes. The Orange were coming off of a win over Seton Hall the night prior, and they’d be playing a UConn squad that received one of the four double byes in the tournament.
What transpired remains to this day one of the greatest games in the history of the conference, with Syracuse winning 127-117 in six overtimes. The Daily Orange revisited this game nearly five years after it was played, interviewing players, coaches, officials and even announcers about that night.
And to think, this game nearly didn’t make it to a first overtime session thanks to an Eric Devendorf shot that was eventually waved off. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim offered his thoughts on the shot:
“At the time you’re very upset because you want to get a win and you think you got it or have a chance to get it, but looking back on it, it’s the best thing that ever happened because then we became part of a once-in-a-lifetime game.”
This is an interesting read on what turned out to be a game many people remember to this day. And it was a fitting conclusion to a day at Madison Square Garden that included Villanova beating Marquette as time expired and West Virginia upsetting rival Pittsburgh.
The oral history of this classic game between UConn and Syracuse can be read here.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)