Mar 7, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
GAME OF THE WEEKEND: No. 14 North Carolina at No. 4 Duke, 9:00 p.m.
It really doesn’t get better than the Duke-Carolina on the final weekend of the regular season. The only odd part about it is that there really isn’t all that much on the line anymore. Virginia’s already locked up the ACC regular season title. Duke pretty much cost themselves a shot at a No. 1 seed by losing to Wake Forest on Wednesday. North Carolina did the same with their struggles earlier this season. If anything, this game will be a chance for the Blue Devils to prove that they actually are a Final Four contender.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE WEEKEND: No. 21 New Mexico at No. 10 San Diego State, Sat. 10:00 p.m.
This will be fun. The two best programs in the Mountain West will square off in arguably the rowdiest environment on the west coast for the right to call themselves Mountain West regular season champions. The Aztecs have long been considered the favorite to win the league title, with their win at Kansas and New Mexico’s struggles earlier in the season. But the Lobos are peaking at the right time. Like I said, this will be fun.
THE OTHER, OTHER GAME OF THE WEEKEND: No. 19 UConn at No. 11 Louisville, Sat. 2:00 p.m.
Senior night for Russ Smith will also feature a chance for the Cardinals to lock up the AAC regular season title in their only year in the conference. The Cards already went up to Storrs and knocked off UConn this season. The Huskies will be playing to stay out of the 4-5 game in the AAC tournament, which means they would have to play Memphis or SMU instead of one of the league’s bottom-feeders. Shabazz Napier vs. Russdiculous is appointment viewing.
FIVE MORE TO WATCH:
- No. 18 SMU at No. 20 Memphis, Sat. 12:00 p.m.: SMU is tough to peg. They were rolling people at home and struggling on the road … and then won at UConn and lost to Louisville in Dallas.
- No. 25 Kentucky at No. 1 Florida, Sat. 12:00 p.m.: So is Kentucky really going to make some noise in March? Or is this team a lost cause? If it’s the latter, Saturday could get ugly in Gainesville.
- Oklahoma State at No. 16 Iowa State, Sat. 2:00 p.m.: Oklahoma State is a different team when Marcus Smart plays the way he has since the 10 minute mark of the second half against Kansas. Even still, I don’t think anyone is expecting a win at Iowa State.
- Providence at No. 13 Creighton, Sat. 8:00 p.m.: Doug McDermott’s senior night. The Friars will hope that the Bluejays are distracted so they can pick up a much-needed resume win, while Creighton is looking to end a two-game losing skid.
- No. 22 Michigan State at Ohio State, Sun. 4:30 p.m.: Can Michigan State turn this thing around? Are they ever going to be able to live up to the potential they had earlier this season?
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?
- No. 3 Arizona at Oregon, Sat. 4:00 p.m.: The Wildcats struggled at Oregon State on Wednesday night. The Ducks like to get up and down the floor as well, which is how Sean Miller is now trying to get his team to play. Mike Moser’s scalding hot of late, and will be fun to watch matchup with Aaron Gordon.
- No. 5 Virginia at Maryland, Sun. 12:00 p.m.: Maryland is probably out of the bubble picture at this point, but it would be nice for them to pick off Virginia in their final regular season game as a member of the conference.
- No. 7 Syracuse at Florida State, Sun. 2:00 p.m.: Syracuse apparently cannot score anymore. Florida State is good defensively and desperate for a win. Hmm.
- No. 17 Saint Louis at UMass, Sun. 2:00 p.m.: The Billikens are struggling of late and play a completely different style from that of UMass. Who stops Chaz Williams?
- No. 9 Wisconsin at Nebraska, Sun. 7:30 p.m.: Lincoln has suddenly turned into one of the toughest places in the Big Ten to play, and that won’t change with the Huskers needing a win over Wisconsin to get a bid to the Big Dance.
FIVE THINGS TO KEEP AN EYE ON:
1) Five automatic bids to the NCAA tournament will be determined by the Sunday night, the most notable of which is the Missouri Valley’s. Arch Madness kicked off on Thursday night, Wichita State will play their first game on Friday night and, if all goes to plan, they’ll be ready to head to the NCAA tournament with an undefeated record Sunday afternoon.
Harvard will earn the Ivy’s automatic bid on Friday night with a win at Yale. If the Crimson lose, they’ll need a win at Brown or a Yale loss to Dartmouth on Saturday. The Ohio Valley’s championship game is on Saturday, while the Atlantic Sun and Big South bids will be given out on Sunday.
2) The four biggest bubble games of the weekend:
- Georgetown at No. 6 Villanova, Sat. 2:00 p.m.
- Utah at Stanford, Sat. 2:30 p.m.
- Missouri at Tennessee, Sat. 4:00 p.m.
- Colorado at Cal, Sat. 6:30 p.m.
- Pitt at Clemson, Sat. 4:00 p.m.
- Arkansas at Alabama, Sat. 4:00 p.m.
- Arizona State at Oregon State, Sat. 4:30 p.m.
- Indiana at No. 12 Michigan, Sat. 6:00 p.m.
- Richmond at Dayton, Sat. 7:00 p.m.
3) No. 8 Kansas at West Virginia, Sat. 12:00 p.m.: Don’t be surprised if West Virginia gives the Jayhawks a fight in Morgantown.
4) St. John’s at Marquette, Sat. 12:00 p.m.: St. John’s has to win this game if they want a chance to dance.
5) Baylor at Kansas State, Sat. 1:30 p.m.: Both teams are likely going dancing already.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Orange holds the first of two exhibition games on Nov. 2.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product picked the Gamecocks over Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, UAB visits Chattanooga December 22.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Thought the recent debate about USA Basketball and advantages gained by college coaches was getting tiresome?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Fortune Magazine has the Krzyzewski and Staley ranked 20th (along with San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich) on the list.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
The NCAA is hoping to have two lawsuits dismissed, with the plaintiffs in those suits arguing otherwise. And three U.S. senators voiced their displeasure with the lack of progress being made by the NCAA.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Lorenzo Romar spoke positively of Robert Upshaw’s progress, and with the Huskies’ lack of interior depth the Fresno State transfer will be a key figure this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Among the schools still in the running for this Top 100 prospect’s services is LSU.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
FGCU’s Sweet 16 run in 2013 paid off in a big way for the athletic department.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Mizzou Arena’s just ten years old, but the school has found some areas that need renovating.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Freeberg makes the move from the College of Charleston to The Citadel, with J.D. Powell headed in the opposite direction.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
John Calipari helped some campers waiting for Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness sleep a little easier by giving away a mattress and some pillows.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Baylor will be without an incoming recruit for the 2014-15 season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)