Mar 8, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
As the regular season winds down this weekend and Senior Day commences at a number of schools across the country, one of the biggest celebrations will surely be for Ohio State senior point guard Aaron Craft.
Craft has certainly done a lot for the Buckeyes on the floor, as he shares the Big Ten record in steals and is Ohio State’s all-time leader in assists, but it’s the senior’s ability to make a difference off-the-court that makes him unique.
In a fantastic read from Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch, Craft’s career at Ohio State is showcased and the story includes a lot of interesting and enlightening anecdotes about one of the good guys in college basketball.
Baptist gets quotes from a lot of Ohio State basketball greats about Craft, including Clark Kellogg, John Havlicek and Mel Nowell and also notes how Craft has given his time to help others while maintaining a 3.93 GPA:
Weyant’s was the third Make-A-Wish request for Craft this season. Last fall, he videotaped a speech for an Ohio high-school leadership conference because a lab class prevented him from attending. He had missed a lab once and gotten a B-plus in the course and wasn’t going to risk that again. Craft has a 3.93 cumulative grade-point average in a pre-med curriculum.
“We can’t physically do all the things that people request, so we try to manage those by what we deem the most important, the most beneficial,” said Dave Egelhoff, who screens requests for Craft’s time as the Buckeyes’ director of basketball operations. “It’s tough on him because he knows he can make a difference, but it’s just physically impossible to do them all.”
There are a lot of other great quotes and tidbits on Craft in Baptist’s feature — including a great story from Thad Matta on the duo speaking to a group of Ohio State freshman.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)