Mar 8, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
As the regular season winds down this weekend and Senior Day commences at a number of schools across the country, one of the biggest celebrations will surely be for Ohio State senior point guard Aaron Craft.
Craft has certainly done a lot for the Buckeyes on the floor, as he shares the Big Ten record in steals and is Ohio State’s all-time leader in assists, but it’s the senior’s ability to make a difference off-the-court that makes him unique.
In a fantastic read from Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch, Craft’s career at Ohio State is showcased and the story includes a lot of interesting and enlightening anecdotes about one of the good guys in college basketball.
Baptist gets quotes from a lot of Ohio State basketball greats about Craft, including Clark Kellogg, John Havlicek and Mel Nowell and also notes how Craft has given his time to help others while maintaining a 3.93 GPA:
Weyant’s was the third Make-A-Wish request for Craft this season. Last fall, he videotaped a speech for an Ohio high-school leadership conference because a lab class prevented him from attending. He had missed a lab once and gotten a B-plus in the course and wasn’t going to risk that again. Craft has a 3.93 cumulative grade-point average in a pre-med curriculum.
“We can’t physically do all the things that people request, so we try to manage those by what we deem the most important, the most beneficial,” said Dave Egelhoff, who screens requests for Craft’s time as the Buckeyes’ director of basketball operations. “It’s tough on him because he knows he can make a difference, but it’s just physically impossible to do them all.”
There are a lot of other great quotes and tidbits on Craft in Baptist’s feature — including a great story from Thad Matta on the duo speaking to a group of Ohio State freshman.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)