Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
It was perfect, really.
When Doug McDermott scored his 3,000th collegiate point, it came on a 26-foot three-pointer.
On Senior Night.
In front of a record-setting CenturyLink crowd, which is a feat considering that the Bluejay faithful routinely finish among the top ten in attendance.
“I can’t think of a more fitting way for him to end his career here than the way he played tonight,” Doug’s dad, head coach Greg McDermott, said on the CBS Sports Network broadcast.
On the possession after scoring his 3,000th point, coach McDermott called a timeout to give his son a hug and allow the sold out CenturyLink crowd to give his all-american a thundering ovation.
Here is the list of every 3,000 point scorer in college basketball history:
- Pete Maravich (LSU) 3,667
- Freeman Williams (Portland State) 3,249
- Lionel Simmons (La Salle) 3,217
- Alphonso Ford (Mississippi Valley State) 3,165
- Harry Kelly (Texas Southern) 3,066
- Keydren Clark (Saint Peter’s) 3,058
- Doug McDermott (Creighton) 3,011
- Hersey Hawkins (Bradley) 3,008
Oh, and McDermott wasn’t done. He finished with 45 points, a new career-high, while moving past Oscar Robertson and Hersey Hawkins on the career scoring list as No. 13 Creighton beat Providence, 88-73.
“It’s about as good as it gets, man,” McDermott said on the CBS Sports Net broadcast after the game. “I couldn’t dream of anything like this. Such a surreal moment.”
Here’s an angle from crowd, via Jacob Padilla:
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)