Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 PM EST
It was perfect, really.
When Doug McDermott scored his 3,000th collegiate point, it came on a 26-foot three-pointer.
On Senior Night.
In front of a record-setting CenturyLink crowd, which is a feat considering that the Bluejay faithful routinely finish among the top ten in attendance.
“I can’t think of a more fitting way for him to end his career here than the way he played tonight,” Doug’s dad, head coach Greg McDermott, said on the CBS Sports Network broadcast.
On the possession after scoring his 3,000th point, coach McDermott called a timeout to give his son a hug and allow the sold out CenturyLink crowd to give his all-american a thundering ovation.
Here is the list of every 3,000 point scorer in college basketball history:
- Pete Maravich (LSU) 3,667
- Freeman Williams (Portland State) 3,249
- Lionel Simmons (La Salle) 3,217
- Alphonso Ford (Mississippi Valley State) 3,165
- Harry Kelly (Texas Southern) 3,066
- Keydren Clark (Saint Peter’s) 3,058
- Doug McDermott (Creighton) 3,011
- Hersey Hawkins (Bradley) 3,008
Oh, and McDermott wasn’t done. He finished with 45 points, a new career-high, while moving past Oscar Robertson and Hersey Hawkins on the career scoring list as No. 13 Creighton beat Providence, 88-73.
“It’s about as good as it gets, man,” McDermott said on the CBS Sports Net broadcast after the game. “I couldn’t dream of anything like this. Such a surreal moment.”
Here’s an angle from crowd, via Jacob Padilla:
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)