Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
It was perfect, really.
When Doug McDermott scored his 3,000th collegiate point, it came on a 26-foot three-pointer.
On Senior Night.
In front of a record-setting CenturyLink crowd, which is a feat considering that the Bluejay faithful routinely finish among the top ten in attendance.
“I can’t think of a more fitting way for him to end his career here than the way he played tonight,” Doug’s dad, head coach Greg McDermott, said on the CBS Sports Network broadcast.
On the possession after scoring his 3,000th point, coach McDermott called a timeout to give his son a hug and allow the sold out CenturyLink crowd to give his all-american a thundering ovation.
Here is the list of every 3,000 point scorer in college basketball history:
- Pete Maravich (LSU) 3,667
- Freeman Williams (Portland State) 3,249
- Lionel Simmons (La Salle) 3,217
- Alphonso Ford (Mississippi Valley State) 3,165
- Harry Kelly (Texas Southern) 3,066
- Keydren Clark (Saint Peter’s) 3,058
- Doug McDermott (Creighton) 3,011
- Hersey Hawkins (Bradley) 3,008
Oh, and McDermott wasn’t done. He finished with 45 points, a new career-high, while moving past Oscar Robertson and Hersey Hawkins on the career scoring list as No. 13 Creighton beat Providence, 88-73.
“It’s about as good as it gets, man,” McDermott said on the CBS Sports Net broadcast after the game. “I couldn’t dream of anything like this. Such a surreal moment.”
Here’s an angle from crowd, via Jacob Padilla:
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)