Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
It was perfect, really.
When Doug McDermott scored his 3,000th collegiate point, it came on a 26-foot three-pointer.
On Senior Night.
In front of a record-setting CenturyLink crowd, which is a feat considering that the Bluejay faithful routinely finish among the top ten in attendance.
“I can’t think of a more fitting way for him to end his career here than the way he played tonight,” Doug’s dad, head coach Greg McDermott, said on the CBS Sports Network broadcast.
On the possession after scoring his 3,000th point, coach McDermott called a timeout to give his son a hug and allow the sold out CenturyLink crowd to give his all-american a thundering ovation.
Here is the list of every 3,000 point scorer in college basketball history:
- Pete Maravich (LSU) 3,667
- Freeman Williams (Portland State) 3,249
- Lionel Simmons (La Salle) 3,217
- Alphonso Ford (Mississippi Valley State) 3,165
- Harry Kelly (Texas Southern) 3,066
- Keydren Clark (Saint Peter’s) 3,058
- Doug McDermott (Creighton) 3,011
- Hersey Hawkins (Bradley) 3,008
Oh, and McDermott wasn’t done. He finished with 45 points, a new career-high, while moving past Oscar Robertson and Hersey Hawkins on the career scoring list as No. 13 Creighton beat Providence, 88-73.
“It’s about as good as it gets, man,” McDermott said on the CBS Sports Net broadcast after the game. “I couldn’t dream of anything like this. Such a surreal moment.”
Here’s an angle from crowd, via Jacob Padilla:
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)