Mar 8, 2014, 9:38 PM EST
It was perfect, really.
When Doug McDermott scored his 3,000th collegiate point, it came on a 26-foot three-pointer.
On Senior Night.
In front of a record-setting CenturyLink crowd, which is a feat considering that the Bluejay faithful routinely finish among the top ten in attendance.
“I can’t think of a more fitting way for him to end his career here than the way he played tonight,” Doug’s dad, head coach Greg McDermott, said on the CBS Sports Network broadcast.
On the possession after scoring his 3,000th point, coach McDermott called a timeout to give his son a hug and allow the sold out CenturyLink crowd to give his all-american a thundering ovation.
Here is the list of every 3,000 point scorer in college basketball history:
- Pete Maravich (LSU) 3,667
- Freeman Williams (Portland State) 3,249
- Lionel Simmons (La Salle) 3,217
- Alphonso Ford (Mississippi Valley State) 3,165
- Harry Kelly (Texas Southern) 3,066
- Keydren Clark (Saint Peter’s) 3,058
- Doug McDermott (Creighton) 3,011
- Hersey Hawkins (Bradley) 3,008
Oh, and McDermott wasn’t done. He finished with 45 points, a new career-high, while moving past Oscar Robertson and Hersey Hawkins on the career scoring list as No. 13 Creighton beat Providence, 88-73.
“It’s about as good as it gets, man,” McDermott said on the CBS Sports Net broadcast after the game. “I couldn’t dream of anything like this. Such a surreal moment.”
Here’s an angle from crowd, via Jacob Padilla:
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)