Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
At this point, we have no choice but to accept the fact that No. 25 Kentucky is what it is: a mediocre basketball team.
That’s the biggest point that we can take away from their 84-65 loss to No. 1 Florida in Gainesville on Saturday afternoon. That’s what happens when a team that lost to Arkansas and South Carolina last week before fending off Alabama at home gets smacked around by a team they were supposed to contend for a league title with.
Think about it like this: Kentucky got run off the floor in the first half by the Gators, finding themselves down double-digits early in the first half and behind 49-28 at halftime. It was a beat down, but the Wildcats regrouped, putting together a 15-0 to cut the Gator lead to 53-47 with more than 12 minutes left.
The overwhelming reaction to that surge?
“Hey, at least Kentucky showed that they have some fight left.”
That’s a team that we think can turn things around and make a run to the Final Four?
This Kentucky team looks more and more like the 2012 UConn team every day. The Huskies had a roster that included Shabazz Napier, Jeremy Lamb, Roscoe Smith, Alex Oriakhi and Andre Drummond that season and finished below .500 in the Big East before losing in the opening round of the NCAA tournament despite being ranked No. 1 in the preseason. All that talent never clicked.
And despite all the talent on Kentucky’s roster, I’m having a hard time believing that they are ever going to put it all together.
I’ve seen quite a bit of chatter about how a No. 1 or No. 2 seed won’t want to get stuck with Kentucky as a No. 7 or No. 8 seed in their bracket.
If you’re giving me a choice between Kentucky and, say, Saint Louis or SMU, I want to play Kentucky.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)