Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
America East: The quarterfinals are underway in the America East as top-seed Vermont takes on New Hampshire, second-seed Stony Brook battles Maine and Albany against UMBC and Hartford against Binghamton rounds out the day’s action. All games are being played in Guilderland, New York. At 15-1 in the America East, Vermont is the heavy favorite in this tournament.
Big South: An important day of action in the Big South Conference Tournament as two good semifinals take place in Conway, South Carolina. Winthrop and UNC Asheville face-off in the first semifinal of the day while VMI and Coastal Carolina close it out. Both games feature teams with identical conference records as Winthrop and UNC-Asheville were both 10-6 in the Big South while VMI and Coastal Carolina both finished 11-5.
CAA: Quarterfinal action tips off in Baltimore as top seed Delaware takes on Hofstra, two seed Towson locks horns with James Madison and Northeastern and Drexel and Charleston and William & Mary round out the day’s action.
Horizon League: It’ll be an interesting day of semifinal action at the Horizon League Tournament in Green Bay’s arena as the top-seeded Phoenix host Milwaukee and Wright State takes on Cleveland State. Green Bay went 14-2 in the Horizon League this season, but its only home loss came to Milwaukee. Wright State and Cleveland State split the season series with each team winning on the road.
MAAC: The MAAC quarters are underway in Springfield, Massachusetts as No. 1 seed Iona faces Rider and No. 2 seed Manhattan takes on St. Peter’s. Canisius also takes on Siena and Quinnipiac battles Niagara.
Missouri Valley: Semifinal day at Arch Madness in St. Louis as No. 2 Wichita State looks to improve to 33-0 when they face Missouri State and Indiana State takes on Southern Illinois. Missouri State gave the Shockers their only overtime game of the season while Southern Illinois will look to continue to play the spoiler role after yesterday’s upset of Northern Iowa. Southern Illinois and Indiana State split the season series at one game apiece in the regular season.
NEC: We’ve reached the semifinals in the NEC as Robert Morris faces St. Francis (Pa) and Wagner takes on Mount St. Mary’s. Robert Morris swept St. Francis during the season and they’ll be the heavy favorite over the 10-20 Red Flash while Wagner and Mount St. Mary’s split the season series with each team winning at home.
Ohio Valley: The OVC title game goes down at 7:00 p.m. as Eastern Kentucky takes on Belmont in Nashville with a spot in the NCAA Tournament at stake. The Bruins have won seven straight games heading into tonight’s title game but they’ll have to beat an Eastern Kentucky team that pulled off a mini-upset of Murray State in the semifinals. These two teams split the regular season series with each team winning at home. Can Belmont repeat as champs?
Patriot League: Semifinal action heats up in the Patriot League Tournament as Army takes on Boston and Holy Cross battles American. Boston swept the season series over Army, but both wins were incredibly close as the Terriers won in overtime on January 29th and by a single point on February 26th. The Eagles, meanwhile, swept the season series over Holy Cross.
Southern: Quarterfinal action for the Southern Conference Tournament tips off in Asheville, North Carolina on Saturday as No. 1 seed Davidson battles Samford and No. 2 seed Chattanooga battles Georgia Southern. Elon also takes on Western Carolina and Wofford battles The Citadel in the other matchups of the day.
Summit League: IUPUI and IPFW is the only quarterfinal matchup being played today in Sioux Falls, South Dakota as the Mastodons look to make a run in the Summit League as the No. 2 seed. IPFW won both games in the season series by at least 15 points and should be the heavy favorite.
WCC: Vegas, baby, VEGAS! The WCC quarters begin on Saturday in Las Vegas as No. 1 seed Gonzaga takes on Santa Clara and No. 2 seed BYU takes on Loyola Marymount. San Francisco also takes on San Diego and Saint Mary’s battles Pepperdine.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)