Mar 8, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
With the close of the regular season coming this weekend, Senior Day festivities are going on all over the country as schools honor their players that will be moving on from the program next season.
But Texas A&M had a unique Senior Day celebration on Saturday as the Aggies honored former high school signee Tobi Oyedeji, a 6-foot-8 forward who was killed in a head-on car crash while coming home from his high school senior prom on May 16, 2010. Oyedeji was 17-years-old.
Oyedeji never received a chance to play basketball for the Aggies, and was recruited by former Texas A&M coach and current Maryland coach Mark Turgeon, but Oyedeji still has a strong legacy at the school and was honored by the program and head coach Billy Kennedy on Senior Day along with Aggie seniors Fabyon Harris, Blake McDonald and Peyton Carrell.
Many of Oyedeji’s former coaches and teammates spoke of his high character and tremendous work ethic and he likely would have been an immediate contributor on-the-court for the Aggies as a freshman. Aubrey Bloom of the Bryan/College Station Eagle penned a nice piece on Oyedeji, while the Texas A&M athletics department also honored the fallen high school star with a tribute of its own.
This is a really fantastic gesture by the Texas A&M athletics department to honor Tobi Oyedeji on Senior Day. It’s nice of the Aggies to give Oyedeji’s parents, who lost their only child in the accident, another opportunity to celebrate his life.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)