Mar 9, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
On Saturday, IUPUI’s season came to a close following a 38-point loss to IPFW in the Summit League quarterfinal. Sunday morning, the university announced that head coach Todd Howard had been removed from his position after three seasons.
Howard had compiled a 26-70 record in his three seasons on the Jaguars’ sideline.
“I’m so thankful and grateful to everyone at IUPUI,” Howard said in a statement. “It’s my favorite place in the world and I truly appreciate the support I’ve received. While I’m certainly disappointed and wish I was able to get more time, I’m extremely confident in knowing me and my staff gave our all.
“IUPUI is all I’ve known for 19-plus years and I know the hard work that has gone into building a league champion, an NCAA tournament team, an NBA draft pick and much more. In this era, we were just too young and too injured and that’s hard to overcome. I’ve helped guide hundreds of kids into becoming stellar men and my current team exemplifies this. Our GPA, our academic success and approach has never been higher.”
Howard played for Denny Crum at Louisville from 1989-1993. He was a member on the Cardinals’ coaching staff one year after his collegiate career came to an end. He then made the move to IUPUI in 1994, serving as an assistant coach for six seasons before being promoted to the associate head coach in 2001. In 2003, Howard was part of a coaching staff that helped lead IUPUI to its first NCAA tournament appearance.
When Ron Hunter left for Georgia State in 2011, Howard took over the program.
For the second straight season, the Jaguars finished last in the Summit League with identical 6-26 records. IUPUI managed to win just two conference games (2-28) in the final two seasons of Howard’s tenure.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)