Mar 9, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
On Saturday, IUPUI’s season came to a close following a 38-point loss to IPFW in the Summit League quarterfinal. Sunday morning, the university announced that head coach Todd Howard had been removed from his position after three seasons.
Howard had compiled a 26-70 record in his three seasons on the Jaguars’ sideline.
“I’m so thankful and grateful to everyone at IUPUI,” Howard said in a statement. “It’s my favorite place in the world and I truly appreciate the support I’ve received. While I’m certainly disappointed and wish I was able to get more time, I’m extremely confident in knowing me and my staff gave our all.
“IUPUI is all I’ve known for 19-plus years and I know the hard work that has gone into building a league champion, an NCAA tournament team, an NBA draft pick and much more. In this era, we were just too young and too injured and that’s hard to overcome. I’ve helped guide hundreds of kids into becoming stellar men and my current team exemplifies this. Our GPA, our academic success and approach has never been higher.”
Howard played for Denny Crum at Louisville from 1989-1993. He was a member on the Cardinals’ coaching staff one year after his collegiate career came to an end. He then made the move to IUPUI in 1994, serving as an assistant coach for six seasons before being promoted to the associate head coach in 2001. In 2003, Howard was part of a coaching staff that helped lead IUPUI to its first NCAA tournament appearance.
When Ron Hunter left for Georgia State in 2011, Howard took over the program.
For the second straight season, the Jaguars finished last in the Summit League with identical 6-26 records. IUPUI managed to win just two conference games (2-28) in the final two seasons of Howard’s tenure.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)