Mar 9, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
On Saturday, IUPUI’s season came to a close following a 38-point loss to IPFW in the Summit League quarterfinal. Sunday morning, the university announced that head coach Todd Howard had been removed from his position after three seasons.
Howard had compiled a 26-70 record in his three seasons on the Jaguars’ sideline.
“I’m so thankful and grateful to everyone at IUPUI,” Howard said in a statement. “It’s my favorite place in the world and I truly appreciate the support I’ve received. While I’m certainly disappointed and wish I was able to get more time, I’m extremely confident in knowing me and my staff gave our all.
“IUPUI is all I’ve known for 19-plus years and I know the hard work that has gone into building a league champion, an NCAA tournament team, an NBA draft pick and much more. In this era, we were just too young and too injured and that’s hard to overcome. I’ve helped guide hundreds of kids into becoming stellar men and my current team exemplifies this. Our GPA, our academic success and approach has never been higher.”
Howard played for Denny Crum at Louisville from 1989-1993. He was a member on the Cardinals’ coaching staff one year after his collegiate career came to an end. He then made the move to IUPUI in 1994, serving as an assistant coach for six seasons before being promoted to the associate head coach in 2001. In 2003, Howard was part of a coaching staff that helped lead IUPUI to its first NCAA tournament appearance.
When Ron Hunter left for Georgia State in 2011, Howard took over the program.
For the second straight season, the Jaguars finished last in the Summit League with identical 6-26 records. IUPUI managed to win just two conference games (2-28) in the final two seasons of Howard’s tenure.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can Green Bay take the next step, represent the Horizon League in the Tournament? 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)