Mar 9, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
With time winding down, Jordair Jett beat Derrick Gordon off the dribble with a quick first step and laid in the go ahead bucket with only three ticks remaining. Chaz Williams raced the ball up the floor, but his 35-footer clanked off the front iron as No. 17 Saint Louis held on to a 64-62 win on Sunday afternoon.
The Billikens won the Atlantic 10 outright with the last-second victory.
Saint Louis was less than six minutes away from losing its fourth straight game after previously winning 19 in a row.
After struggling from three for the majority of the game, Mike McCall Jr. hit the team’s second 3-pointer, making it a one-possession game at 56-54, with under five minutes to play. Saint Louis would later tie the score with a Dwayne Evans bucket.
With 90 seconds left, it became a one-on-one showcase with Jordair Jett and Chaz Williams, both of whom have a strong case for Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. Jett tied the score with a pair of free throws. Williams wasted little time and scored in the lane on the ensuing possession.
Jett countered with a lay-in of his own. UMass had several looks to take the lead back, but came up empty-handed as Saint Louis had the ball with a one-second differential between shot clock and game clock.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)