Mar 9, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
With time winding down, Jordair Jett beat Derrick Gordon off the dribble with a quick first step and laid in the go ahead bucket with only three ticks remaining. Chaz Williams raced the ball up the floor, but his 35-footer clanked off the front iron as No. 17 Saint Louis held on to a 64-62 win on Sunday afternoon.
The Billikens won the Atlantic 10 outright with the last-second victory.
Saint Louis was less than six minutes away from losing its fourth straight game after previously winning 19 in a row.
After struggling from three for the majority of the game, Mike McCall Jr. hit the team’s second 3-pointer, making it a one-possession game at 56-54, with under five minutes to play. Saint Louis would later tie the score with a Dwayne Evans bucket.
With 90 seconds left, it became a one-on-one showcase with Jordair Jett and Chaz Williams, both of whom have a strong case for Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. Jett tied the score with a pair of free throws. Williams wasted little time and scored in the lane on the ensuing possession.
Jett countered with a lay-in of his own. UMass had several looks to take the lead back, but came up empty-handed as Saint Louis had the ball with a one-second differential between shot clock and game clock.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)