Mar 9, 2014, 4:08 PM EST
With time winding down, Jordair Jett beat Derrick Gordon off the dribble with a quick first step and laid in the go ahead bucket with only three ticks remaining. Chaz Williams raced the ball up the floor, but his 35-footer clanked off the front iron as No. 17 Saint Louis held on to a 64-62 win on Sunday afternoon.
The Billikens won the Atlantic 10 outright with the last-second victory.
Saint Louis was less than six minutes away from losing its fourth straight game after previously winning 19 in a row.
After struggling from three for the majority of the game, Mike McCall Jr. hit the team’s second 3-pointer, making it a one-possession game at 56-54, with under five minutes to play. Saint Louis would later tie the score with a Dwayne Evans bucket.
With 90 seconds left, it became a one-on-one showcase with Jordair Jett and Chaz Williams, both of whom have a strong case for Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. Jett tied the score with a pair of free throws. Williams wasted little time and scored in the lane on the ensuing possession.
Jett countered with a lay-in of his own. UMass had several looks to take the lead back, but came up empty-handed as Saint Louis had the ball with a one-second differential between shot clock and game clock.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)