Mar 10, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
Although the new-look Conference USA is still hard to memorize from top-to-bottom with all of the first-year teams, the top of the league is still very strong as four teams (Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee, Tulsa) finished tied atop the standings at 13-3 while UTEP was right behind at 12-4. With five really good teams in a 15-team field, this has the potential to be a wild tournament.
When: March 11-15
Where: Don Haskins Center, El Paso, Texas
Final: Saturday, March 15, 10:35 a.m., CBS
Favorite: Louisiana Tech
Although the top of the league standings featured four 13-3 teams and 12-4 UTEP, the Bulldogs are the deepest and most talented team. Even without dynamic junior scorer Raheem Appleby for 12 games of the C-USA slate, Louisiana Tech still finished 13-3 and tied atop the league. Appleby recently returned and played 16 minutes in the regular-season finale against Rice.
And if they lose?: Southern Miss
The Golden Eagles are incredibly balanced as their five leading scorers average in-between 9.6 points and 11 points per game. Although Southern Miss played Louisiana Tech without Appleby, they still own a win over them during the regular season.
- Tulsa: Danny Manning has done one of the more underrated coaching jobs in the country as the Golden Hurricanes have won eight straight.
- Middle Tennessee: The Blue Raiders have won 11 of 12 and Shawn Jones is arguably the league’s best player.
- UTEP: Since losing three players to an FBI probe for gambling, Tim Floyd has rallied this team to a 12-4 conference record.
- Shawn Jones, Middle Tennessee: League’s leading Player of the Year candidate can score or control the glass.
- Vince Hunter, UTEP: One of the nation’s most productive freshman, Hunter averaged 17.4 points per game over his final 15 games after averaging 12.5 for the season.
- Kenneth Smith, Louisiana Tech: The nation’s second-leading assist man (7.9 per game) drives the engine that makes the Bulldogs go.
- James Woodard, Tulsa: The sophomore guard has scored double-figure points in 23 straight games.
CBT Prediction: Louisiana Tech over Middle Tennessee
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)