Mar 10, 2014, 1:16 AM EST
Early on Sunday morning, news broke that Joel Embiid would be headed to California to see a back specialist to get a second opinion the injury that has kept him out of the lineup for the past two games.
Kansas head coach Bill Self elaborated on that concern on Sunday evening in a conversation with Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
“It’s nothing where he won’t be feeling great in four weeks with some rest,” Self said, while also telling Dodd that the injury is more significant that a simple back strain, which is what Kansas called it when it was announced Embiid would sit out the end of the regular season. “We don’t have four weeks.”
The Jayhawks kick off Big 12 tournament play on Thursday, playing the winner of Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.
With Embiid healthy and in the lineup, Kansas is arguably the nation’s most talented team and one of the favorite to win the national title come April. But if he’s flying to California to see a specialist and get a second opinion about a back injury, how confident should we be that his injury is actually going to get better?
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)