Mar 10, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Get to know all of the NCAA Tournament’s automatic bids here.
Coach: Steve Masiello
Record: 25-7 (15-5 MAAC)
Rankings and Ratings:
- Kenpom: 69
– RPI: 71
– AP/USA Today: Not ranked
Seeding?: Likely a 13 seed
Names you need to know: George Beamon (19.4 ppg, 6.5 rp, 1.6 spg); Rhamel Brown (9.9 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 3.7 bpg); Michael Alvarado (12.3 ppg, 4.1 apg); Emmy Andujar (8.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.2 apg)
Stats you need to know: The Jaspers are 42nd in adjusted defense efficiency according to kenpom.com. Manhattan will represent the MAAC with a balanced attack on offensive and defense, averaging 77.6 points per game (good for 38th nationally) while possessing the conference’s most efficient defense.
Tendencies: Manhattan can and will run deep. Only Beamon and Alvarado record double-digits in scoring. But 11 Jaspers average double figures in minutes per game with seven logging more than 17 minutes a night.
Big wins, bad losses: Out of conference, Manhattan knocked off La Salle to open the season, but dropped games against George Washington and Fordham. The Jaspers also topped Buffalo in overtime. In conference, Manhattan finished out the regular season and the conference tournament winners of 11 of its last 12 games.
How’d they get here?: After taking all St. Peter’s could give them in the first half, the Jaspers pulled away in the second half, before handling Quinnipiac in the semifinals. For the second time in 11 days, Manhattan got the best of its rival Iona.
Outlook: Manhattan is likely going be slotted as a No. 13 seed. I’m sure a lot of high seed will be unhappy about being matched up with the Jaspers.
How do I know you?: Manhattan came very close to making the NCAA tournament last season, falling to Iona in the MAAC final. The Jaspers are experienced and have the talent on offense and defense, and the coach, who can give any high seed a scare.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)