Mar 10, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Get to know all of the NCAA Tournament’s automatic bids here.
Coach: Steve Masiello
Record: 25-7 (15-5 MAAC)
Rankings and Ratings:
– Kenpom: 69
– RPI: 71
– AP/USA Today: Not ranked
Seeding?: Likely a 13 seed
Names you need to know: George Beamon (19.4 ppg, 6.5 rp, 1.6 spg); Rhamel Brown (9.9 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 3.7 bpg); Michael Alvarado (12.3 ppg, 4.1 apg); Emmy Andujar (8.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.2 apg)
Stats you need to know: The Jaspers are 42nd in adjusted defense efficiency according to kenpom.com. Manhattan will represent the MAAC with a balanced attack on offensive and defense, averaging 77.6 points per game (good for 38th nationally) while possessing the conference’s most efficient defense.
Tendencies: Manhattan can and will run deep. Only Beamon and Alvarado record double-digits in scoring. But 11 Jaspers average double figures in minutes per game with seven logging more than 17 minutes a night.
Big wins, bad losses: Out of conference, Manhattan knocked off La Salle to open the season, but dropped games against George Washington and Fordham. The Jaspers also topped Buffalo in overtime. In conference, Manhattan finished out the regular season and the conference tournament winners of 11 of its last 12 games.
How’d they get here?: After taking all St. Peter’s could give them in the first half, the Jaspers pulled away in the second half, before handling Quinnipiac in the semifinals. For the second time in 11 days, Manhattan got the best of its rival Iona.
Outlook: Manhattan is likely going be slotted as a No. 13 seed. I’m sure a lot of high seed will be unhappy about being matched up with the Jaspers.
How do I know you?: Manhattan came very close to making the NCAA tournament last season, falling to Iona in the MAAC final. The Jaspers are experienced and have the talent on offense and defense, and the coach, who can give any high seed a scare.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)