Mar 11, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Joey James was named interim head coach for South Dakota in September when longtime head coach Dave Boots stepped down, but after a 12-18 season that saw the Coyotes go 6-8 in Summit League play and end their season with a 71-55 loss to Denver in the league tournament.
Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com was the first to report the move.
This was just South Dakota’s fifth season as a Division I program. James played for the Coyotes in the late-90s and was an assistant coach for a decade.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)