Mar 11, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: BYU vs. Gonzaga, 9:00 p.m.
In a vacuum, this is the kind of game that any basketball fan that enjoys high-scoring, uptempo games will want to tune into. Both BYU and Gonzaga can put up points, and neither of them are particularly fond of playing any defense. But there’s so much more on the line tonight, as both the Zags and the Cougars will be looking to secure an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. That matters because neither team is in a position where they can assume that they’re a lock for an at-large bid at this point.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE NIGHT: IPFW vs. North Dakota State, 9:00 p.m.
I’ve been asked a number of times about mid-major programs capable of making a run in the Big Dance, and every time, I drop the name North Dakota State in there. The Bison are led by Marshall Bjorklund and Taylor Braun, two of the nation’s best kept mid-major secrets. They could end up being a 12 or 13 seed if they can get past IPFW.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
There are two other automatic bids up for grabs tonight:
- 1) Robert Morris takes on Mount St. Mary’s in the NEC title game.
- 2) Milwaukee snuck into the Horizon title game after knocking off Green Bay. They’ll play Wright State.
Three other conference tournaments will take place tonight:
- 3) The SWAC first round
- 4) The MEAC first round
- 5) Conference USA first round
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)