Mar 11, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
UNC Wilmington announced on Tuesday that head coach Buzz Peterson has been fired after four years at the helm, the school announced in a release.
Peterson, a member of the 1982 North Carolina NCAA title team and Michael Jordan’s college roommate, coached the Seahawks to a 42-82 record and 30-53 record in the Colonial Athletic Association in his four years at the helm as assistant coach Eddie Biedenbach will be the interim head coach as the search for a new coach begins. UNCW finished at the bottom of the CAA this season, going 3-13 in the league and 9-23 overall.
“We appreciate Coach Peterson’s work on behalf of the student-athletes and the university,” said UNC Wilmington athletic director Jimmy Bass in the release. “We thank him for his service and wish him well in the future.”
Peterson has a career record of 267-229 in 16 seasons as a head coach, including stints at UNC Wilmington, Appalachian State, Tulsa, Tennessee and Coastal Carolina.
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)