Mar 11, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
UNC Wilmington announced on Tuesday that head coach Buzz Peterson has been fired after four years at the helm, the school announced in a release.
Peterson, a member of the 1982 North Carolina NCAA title team and Michael Jordan’s college roommate, coached the Seahawks to a 42-82 record and 30-53 record in the Colonial Athletic Association in his four years at the helm as assistant coach Eddie Biedenbach will be the interim head coach as the search for a new coach begins. UNCW finished at the bottom of the CAA this season, going 3-13 in the league and 9-23 overall.
“We appreciate Coach Peterson’s work on behalf of the student-athletes and the university,” said UNC Wilmington athletic director Jimmy Bass in the release. “We thank him for his service and wish him well in the future.”
Peterson has a career record of 267-229 in 16 seasons as a head coach, including stints at UNC Wilmington, Appalachian State, Tulsa, Tennessee and Coastal Carolina.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 1
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)