Mar 11, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
UNC Wilmington announced on Tuesday that head coach Buzz Peterson has been fired after four years at the helm, the school announced in a release.
Peterson, a member of the 1982 North Carolina NCAA title team and Michael Jordan’s college roommate, coached the Seahawks to a 42-82 record and 30-53 record in the Colonial Athletic Association in his four years at the helm as assistant coach Eddie Biedenbach will be the interim head coach as the search for a new coach begins. UNCW finished at the bottom of the CAA this season, going 3-13 in the league and 9-23 overall.
“We appreciate Coach Peterson’s work on behalf of the student-athletes and the university,” said UNC Wilmington athletic director Jimmy Bass in the release. “We thank him for his service and wish him well in the future.”
Peterson has a career record of 267-229 in 16 seasons as a head coach, including stints at UNC Wilmington, Appalachian State, Tulsa, Tennessee and Coastal Carolina.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)