Mar 12, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Auburn didn’t waste any time making a change in leadership after the Tigers lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to South Carolina.
That game ended a couple of minutes after 9:00 p.m. Just before 11:00 p.m., the Tigers sent out a release announcing that head coach Tony Barbee had been dismissed. He was informed of the decision at the team hotel in Atlanta.
“After careful evaluation of the last four years, I feel this is best for the program,” Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said. “I believe we should compete for championships in men’s basketball. It’s time for somebody else to have a turn. We need to find somebody to come in here and take what we have here now and put some more in and compete for SEC titles.”
Barbee’s four-year tenure ended with 48-75 record that included an 18-50 mark in league play.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)