Mar 12, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Auburn didn’t waste any time making a change in leadership after the Tigers lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to South Carolina.
That game ended a couple of minutes after 9:00 p.m. Just before 11:00 p.m., the Tigers sent out a release announcing that head coach Tony Barbee had been dismissed. He was informed of the decision at the team hotel in Atlanta.
“After careful evaluation of the last four years, I feel this is best for the program,” Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said. “I believe we should compete for championships in men’s basketball. It’s time for somebody else to have a turn. We need to find somebody to come in here and take what we have here now and put some more in and compete for SEC titles.”
Barbee’s four-year tenure ended with 48-75 record that included an 18-50 mark in league play.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)