Mar 12, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Auburn didn’t waste any time making a change in leadership after the Tigers lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to South Carolina.
That game ended a couple of minutes after 9:00 p.m. Just before 11:00 p.m., the Tigers sent out a release announcing that head coach Tony Barbee had been dismissed. He was informed of the decision at the team hotel in Atlanta.
“After careful evaluation of the last four years, I feel this is best for the program,” Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said. “I believe we should compete for championships in men’s basketball. It’s time for somebody else to have a turn. We need to find somebody to come in here and take what we have here now and put some more in and compete for SEC titles.”
Barbee’s four-year tenure ended with 48-75 record that included an 18-50 mark in league play.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)