Mar 12, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Auburn didn’t waste any time making a change in leadership after the Tigers lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to South Carolina.
That game ended a couple of minutes after 9:00 p.m. Just before 11:00 p.m., the Tigers sent out a release announcing that head coach Tony Barbee had been dismissed. He was informed of the decision at the team hotel in Atlanta.
“After careful evaluation of the last four years, I feel this is best for the program,” Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said. “I believe we should compete for championships in men’s basketball. It’s time for somebody else to have a turn. We need to find somebody to come in here and take what we have here now and put some more in and compete for SEC titles.”
Barbee’s four-year tenure ended with 48-75 record that included an 18-50 mark in league play.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)