Mar 12, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Auburn didn’t waste any time making a change in leadership after the Tigers lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to South Carolina.
That game ended a couple of minutes after 9:00 p.m. Just before 11:00 p.m., the Tigers sent out a release announcing that head coach Tony Barbee had been dismissed. He was informed of the decision at the team hotel in Atlanta.
“After careful evaluation of the last four years, I feel this is best for the program,” Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said. “I believe we should compete for championships in men’s basketball. It’s time for somebody else to have a turn. We need to find somebody to come in here and take what we have here now and put some more in and compete for SEC titles.”
Barbee’s four-year tenure ended with 48-75 record that included an 18-50 mark in league play.
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 5
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)