Mar 12, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
One day after it was learned that Loyola Marymount would not renew the contract of head coach Max Good, the school announced that it has hired a new leader for the basketball program.
Mike Dunlap, whose most recent job was as the head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, will return to his alma mater as head coach. Dunlap has plenty of coaching experience at the college level, as he turned Metro State (Colorado) into a Division II power and was also a member of the coaching staffs at Arizona, Oregon and St. John’s.
Hit hard by injuries for the second consecutive season Loyola Marymount finished the 2013-14 season with an overall record of 13-19, going 4-14 in West Coast Conference play.
“His reputation is founded on being an outstanding player development coach and a game strategist of the highest level,” LMU athletic director Dr. William Husak said in the release. “I would think that any player we currently have in our program or is committed to LMU would want to have the opportunity to develop and play under Mike Dunlap’s tutelage.
“His former players and coaches who have worked with him have provided me with anecdotes and feedback that their experience playing for and working with Mike was rewarding and transforming.”
Point guard Anthony Ireland, who averaged 18.6 points and 5.3 assists per game, is out of eligibility but the cupboard won’t be bare for Dunlap (barring transfers). Both guard Evan Payne (15.5 ppg) and forward Gabe Levin (11.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg) earned WCC All-Freshman Team honors.
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)