Mar 12, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
One day after it was learned that Loyola Marymount would not renew the contract of head coach Max Good, the school announced that it has hired a new leader for the basketball program.
Mike Dunlap, whose most recent job was as the head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, will return to his alma mater as head coach. Dunlap has plenty of coaching experience at the college level, as he turned Metro State (Colorado) into a Division II power and was also a member of the coaching staffs at Arizona, Oregon and St. John’s.
Hit hard by injuries for the second consecutive season Loyola Marymount finished the 2013-14 season with an overall record of 13-19, going 4-14 in West Coast Conference play.
“His reputation is founded on being an outstanding player development coach and a game strategist of the highest level,” LMU athletic director Dr. William Husak said in the release. “I would think that any player we currently have in our program or is committed to LMU would want to have the opportunity to develop and play under Mike Dunlap’s tutelage.
“His former players and coaches who have worked with him have provided me with anecdotes and feedback that their experience playing for and working with Mike was rewarding and transforming.”
Point guard Anthony Ireland, who averaged 18.6 points and 5.3 assists per game, is out of eligibility but the cupboard won’t be bare for Dunlap (barring transfers). Both guard Evan Payne (15.5 ppg) and forward Gabe Levin (11.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg) earned WCC All-Freshman Team honors.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)