Mar 12, 2014, 4:34 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
One day after it was learned that Loyola Marymount would not renew the contract of head coach Max Good, the school announced that it has hired a new leader for the basketball program.
Mike Dunlap, whose most recent job was as the head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, will return to his alma mater as head coach. Dunlap has plenty of coaching experience at the college level, as he turned Metro State (Colorado) into a Division II power and was also a member of the coaching staffs at Arizona, Oregon and St. John’s.
Hit hard by injuries for the second consecutive season Loyola Marymount finished the 2013-14 season with an overall record of 13-19, going 4-14 in West Coast Conference play.
“His reputation is founded on being an outstanding player development coach and a game strategist of the highest level,” LMU athletic director Dr. William Husak said in the release. “I would think that any player we currently have in our program or is committed to LMU would want to have the opportunity to develop and play under Mike Dunlap’s tutelage.
“His former players and coaches who have worked with him have provided me with anecdotes and feedback that their experience playing for and working with Mike was rewarding and transforming.”
Point guard Anthony Ireland, who averaged 18.6 points and 5.3 assists per game, is out of eligibility but the cupboard won’t be bare for Dunlap (barring transfers). Both guard Evan Payne (15.5 ppg) and forward Gabe Levin (11.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg) earned WCC All-Freshman Team honors.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 9
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)