Mar 12, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
One day after it was learned that Loyola Marymount would not renew the contract of head coach Max Good, the school announced that it has hired a new leader for the basketball program.
Mike Dunlap, whose most recent job was as the head coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, will return to his alma mater as head coach. Dunlap has plenty of coaching experience at the college level, as he turned Metro State (Colorado) into a Division II power and was also a member of the coaching staffs at Arizona, Oregon and St. John’s.
Hit hard by injuries for the second consecutive season Loyola Marymount finished the 2013-14 season with an overall record of 13-19, going 4-14 in West Coast Conference play.
“His reputation is founded on being an outstanding player development coach and a game strategist of the highest level,” LMU athletic director Dr. William Husak said in the release. “I would think that any player we currently have in our program or is committed to LMU would want to have the opportunity to develop and play under Mike Dunlap’s tutelage.
“His former players and coaches who have worked with him have provided me with anecdotes and feedback that their experience playing for and working with Mike was rewarding and transforming.”
Point guard Anthony Ireland, who averaged 18.6 points and 5.3 assists per game, is out of eligibility but the cupboard won’t be bare for Dunlap (barring transfers). Both guard Evan Payne (15.5 ppg) and forward Gabe Levin (11.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg) earned WCC All-Freshman Team honors.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)