Mar 12, 2014, 5:16 PM EST
I’m not sure there was a more disappointing team in the country that Boston College.
Bringing back most of their key pieces from the 2012-2013 season, the Eagles were expected by many to finish in the top half of the ACC and compete for an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. That’s what happens when you have a pair of talents like Olivier Hanlan and Ryan Anderson on your roster.
But the season was a disaster.
Boston College finished 14th out of 15 ACC teams. Entering the first round of the ACC tournament on Wednesday night, the Eagles have all of eight wins on the year. If it wasn’t for their win at Syracuse back in February — that will go down as the season’s single weirdest outcome — the year would go down as a total waste of time.
The bad news doesn’t end there, however.
According to a report from Michael Vega of the Boston Globe, Hanlan, who averaged 18.6 points this season, is considering bolting for the NBA after the season. Per Vega, if Hanlan leaves — and maybe even if he doesn’t — Joe Rahon (9.0 points) and Anderson (14.3 points, 7.1 boards) may be convinced to transfer closer to their California hometowns.
Donahue’s job is already in jeopardy as he heads into the final year of a four-year contract he earned after leading Cornell to the Sweet 16 in 2010. Losing his top three players from a team that won just eight games certainly isn’t the way to keep his job, especially when an already apathetic fan base has reached pathetic levels.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)