Mar 12, 2014, 5:16 PM EST
I’m not sure there was a more disappointing team in the country that Boston College.
Bringing back most of their key pieces from the 2012-2013 season, the Eagles were expected by many to finish in the top half of the ACC and compete for an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. That’s what happens when you have a pair of talents like Olivier Hanlan and Ryan Anderson on your roster.
But the season was a disaster.
Boston College finished 14th out of 15 ACC teams. Entering the first round of the ACC tournament on Wednesday night, the Eagles have all of eight wins on the year. If it wasn’t for their win at Syracuse back in February — that will go down as the season’s single weirdest outcome — the year would go down as a total waste of time.
The bad news doesn’t end there, however.
According to a report from Michael Vega of the Boston Globe, Hanlan, who averaged 18.6 points this season, is considering bolting for the NBA after the season. Per Vega, if Hanlan leaves — and maybe even if he doesn’t — Joe Rahon (9.0 points) and Anderson (14.3 points, 7.1 boards) may be convinced to transfer closer to their California hometowns.
Donahue’s job is already in jeopardy as he heads into the final year of a four-year contract he earned after leading Cornell to the Sweet 16 in 2010. Losing his top three players from a team that won just eight games certainly isn’t the way to keep his job, especially when an already apathetic fan base has reached pathetic levels.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)