Mar 12, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: American at Boston U., 7:30 p.m.
The Patriot League’s automatic bid will be handed out this evening as the two best teams in the conference square off. BU has the best back court in the conference with Maurice Watson and D.J. Irving while American sputtered down the stretch, losing five of their last ten.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE DAY: Texas Tech at Oklahoma State, 7:00 p.m.
There aren’t many great games in the major conference tournaments today, but the most interesting may be Tech’s date with the Pokes. Oklahoma State is playing like the team we all thought they would be back in November, but Texas Tech is tough. They have some size up front and a couple of talented scorers in Jaye Crockett and Jordan Tolbert.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH:
1) The first day of the ACC tournament kicks off with three games, none of which have much NCAA tournament consequence.
2) It’s the first day of the Pac-12 tournament as well, and things there will be a bit more interesting. Utah (Washington), Colorado (USC), Oregon (Oregon State), and Stanford (Washington State) are all sitting on or around the bubble.
3) Georgetown kicks off their first, new Big East tournament with a game against … DePaul. A loss would crush any tournament hopes.
4) Baylor is probably safely in the tournament at this point, but losing to TCU certainly wouldn’t help matters. They get the Horned Frogs in the first round of the Big 12 tournament.
5) The American, SEC and Atlantic 10 tournaments all kick off today as well.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)