Mar 13, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
For the second consecutive night the Baylor Bears got off to a good start at the Big 12 tournament, and they earned a spot in Friday’s Big 12 semifinals as a result. Baylor shot 54.8% from the field and 6-for-10 from beyond the arc in the first half, scoring 47 points on their way to a 78-73 win over two-seed Oklahoma.
Scott Drew’s Bears scored 18 of its 47 points in the paint, and they also converted six Oklahoma turnovers into 12 points. All five starters finished the game in double figures with Isaiah Austin scoring 18 points to lead the way. Cory Jefferson added a 14-point, 11-rebound double-double and Kenny Chery finished the game with 14 points and seven assists.
In some regards the victory was a mirror image of Baylor’s 76-68 win over TCU on Wednesday, with the Bears taking advantage of their ability to score in the paint to establish a solid working margin. Against TCU the Bears scored 18 of their 39 first-half points in the paint, leading by 12 at the intermission as a result.
On Thursday the Bears would lead by as much as 21 early in the second half before the Sooners mounted a rally, cutting the deficit to five points with 2:34 remaining. Baylor would shoot 9-for-12 from the foul line over the final 2:07 to hold on for the win, and they’ll play either West Virginia or Texas on Friday.
It wasn’t long ago that many questioned whether or not Baylor would reach the NCAA tournament. But this is a talented group that’s playing well at the right time. And that could that make the Bears a dangerous draw when the brackets are announced on Sunday.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)