Mar 13, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
On Tuesday, U.S. District Court Judge Arthur Spiegel ruled against Xavier’s motion to dismiss a lawsuit that former guard Dez Wells filed against the university.
Wells, who now plays at Maryland, was expelled from Xavier after he was alleged to have committed a sexual assault. The lawsuit alleges that Xavier failed to follow their own policies when they expelled him following a false allegation of a sexual assault.
“From the moment this nightmare began, I’ve been trying to get everyone to understand that I am innocent,” Wells said in a statement given to Yahoo! by his attorney Peter Ginsberg at the time the suit was filed. “The supposed leaders at Xavier destroyed my reputation. It needs to make this right. Xavier needs to set the record straight.”
Judge Spiegel threw out Wells’ attempts to get the expulsion vacated because the statute of limitations had passed, but he refused to toss out Wells’ claims of libel, breach of contract, emotional distress and a violation of Title IX anti-discrimination laws.
“We’re pleased that the court dismissed a number of the claims at this point,” Xavier said in a statement. “The Court’s decision was based solelyon the facts as alleged by Mr. Wells and his lawyers in their Amended Complaint, as is required by Court Rules at this early stage in thelitigation. After the actual facts are disclosed to the Court, we are confident that the result will vindicate Xavier.”
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 10
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)