Mar 13, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
On Tuesday, U.S. District Court Judge Arthur Spiegel ruled against Xavier’s motion to dismiss a lawsuit that former guard Dez Wells filed against the university.
Wells, who now plays at Maryland, was expelled from Xavier after he was alleged to have committed a sexual assault. The lawsuit alleges that Xavier failed to follow their own policies when they expelled him following a false allegation of a sexual assault.
“From the moment this nightmare began, I’ve been trying to get everyone to understand that I am innocent,” Wells said in a statement given to Yahoo! by his attorney Peter Ginsberg at the time the suit was filed. “The supposed leaders at Xavier destroyed my reputation. It needs to make this right. Xavier needs to set the record straight.”
Judge Spiegel threw out Wells’ attempts to get the expulsion vacated because the statute of limitations had passed, but he refused to toss out Wells’ claims of libel, breach of contract, emotional distress and a violation of Title IX anti-discrimination laws.
“We’re pleased that the court dismissed a number of the claims at this point,” Xavier said in a statement. “The Court’s decision was based solelyon the facts as alleged by Mr. Wells and his lawyers in their Amended Complaint, as is required by Court Rules at this early stage in thelitigation. After the actual facts are disclosed to the Court, we are confident that the result will vindicate Xavier.”
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (77)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)