Mar 13, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
On Tuesday, U.S. District Court Judge Arthur Spiegel ruled against Xavier’s motion to dismiss a lawsuit that former guard Dez Wells filed against the university.
Wells, who now plays at Maryland, was expelled from Xavier after he was alleged to have committed a sexual assault. The lawsuit alleges that Xavier failed to follow their own policies when they expelled him following a false allegation of a sexual assault.
“From the moment this nightmare began, I’ve been trying to get everyone to understand that I am innocent,” Wells said in a statement given to Yahoo! by his attorney Peter Ginsberg at the time the suit was filed. “The supposed leaders at Xavier destroyed my reputation. It needs to make this right. Xavier needs to set the record straight.”
Judge Spiegel threw out Wells’ attempts to get the expulsion vacated because the statute of limitations had passed, but he refused to toss out Wells’ claims of libel, breach of contract, emotional distress and a violation of Title IX anti-discrimination laws.
“We’re pleased that the court dismissed a number of the claims at this point,” Xavier said in a statement. “The Court’s decision was based solelyon the facts as alleged by Mr. Wells and his lawyers in their Amended Complaint, as is required by Court Rules at this early stage in thelitigation. After the actual facts are disclosed to the Court, we are confident that the result will vindicate Xavier.”
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)