Mar 13, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
According to a report from the Houston Chronicle, Rice has parted ways with head coach Ben Braun following a 7-23 season and 2-14 record in Conference USA.
Rice fell in the opening round of the C-USA tournament on Wednesday in a 63-62 overtime loss against North Texas.
The Owls let go of Braun with two years remaining on his contract after the veteran head coach went 63-128 in his six seasons at the school. Braun made the CollegeInsider.com tournament in 2012 with a 19-16 record and led the Owls to its first postseason apperance in seven seasons, but Rice finished 12-49 over the last two seasons including a 3-29 mark in Conference USA over that span.
The team was quickly gutted after the 2012 postseason as six players opted to leave the program for various reasons, including star player Arsalan Kazemi to Oregon. Rice hasn’t made an NCAA Tournament appearance since 1970.
Braun has a career record of 608-494 that includes stops at Cal and Eastern Michigan.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)