Mar 13, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
The McBucket List and his path to 3,000 points (Sports Illustrated)
Creighton senior forward Doug McDermott will play his first Big East Tournament game on Thursday night as the Bluejays face DePaul. Thus begins the quest to accomplish another goal, which is to win the event. But prior to that, here’s a look at some of the points McDermott scored on his way past the 3,000-point mark.
30 for 30 Shorts: “Untucked” (Grantland)
The 1977 Marquette basketball team had some incredibly unique uniforms, as they were designed to not be tucked in. The look was controversial, but Al McGuire’s team rose above that to ultimately win the program’s first (and to this point, only) national title.
Season complete, time for Hokies’ new AD to decide James Johnson’s fate (Hampton Roads Daily Press)
Virginia Tech’s tough season, one in which they were overmatched on most nights in the depth and talent categories, came to an end Wednesday afternoon as they fell to Miami in the first round of the ACC tournament. With that comes the time for new athletic director Whit Babcock to take a look at James Johnson’s program, and he’ll need to decide whether or not Johnson is the right man for the job.
College basketball’s conference tournaments? Here’s why I hate them (The Sporting News)
Conference tournaments are a hot-button topic of sorts for some, with upset losses suffered by favorites in smaller leagues triggering the argument that these games are more risk than reward. Another argument that gets made is the fact that three (or more) days are lent more credence than a solid two months in conference play.
Kansas basketball coaching tree flourishing (Lawrence Journal-World)
Bill Self’s Kansas Jayhawks have once again put together a very good season, winning a tenth consecutive Big 12 title. But the good times have also been experienced by members of the Kansas coaching tree, with Danny Manning (Tulsa), Barry Hinson (Southern Illinois), Larry Brown (SMU) and Jerod Haase (UAB) all putting together solid campaigns.
Villanova benefitting from Arcidiacono’s evolution (CSN Philly)
As a freshman Villanova point guard Ryan Arcidiacono was sked to be the leading offensive option for the Wildcats, which led to more shot attempts and points for the New Jersey native. But as the team has grown stronger Arcidiacono’s game as evolved, becoming a better distributor and a more efficient scorer as well.
Ted Bancroft walking off after walking on at Providence College (South Coast Today)
Providence senior guard Ted Bancroft may not receive the playing time or accolades that have been given to classmates Kadeem Batts and Bryce Cotton, but the senior’s proven to be more valuable than many expected the walk-on to be when he arrived. Bancroft has played in 27 games this season, and when the Friars have lacked depth he’s answered the call.
SLU’s freshmen learning all they can from seniors (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
Jim Crews’ Atlantic 10 champion Saint Louis Billikens are a senior-led squad, with guard Jordair Jett and forward Dwayne Evans II being two of the headliners. And with that class out of eligibility at the end of this season, the Billikens’ young players have looked to absorb as much as they can from the savvy veterans.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)