Atlantic 10 Tournament: Langston Galloway’s three-pointer sends Saint Joseph’s to semifinal round (VIDEO)
Mar 14, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
The second Atlantic 10 quarterfinal of the day was a pivotal one, with five-seed Dayton and four-seed Saint Joseph’s both looking to strengthen their case for inclusion in the NCAA tournament field. And unlike their last meeting, a 79-53 Hawk victory on February 25, their matchup in Brooklyn went right down to the wire.
Langston Galloway, who scored 20 of his 31 points in the first half, hit a three-pointer with 17.9 seconds remaining to give Saint Joseph’s a lead they would not relinquish. The Hawks won 70-67, advancing to Saturday’s semifinals where they’ll play nine-seed St. Bonaventure. Freshman DeAndre Bembry added 15 points and Ronald Roberts Jr. 11 for Saint Joseph’s, which ended a two-game losing streak with the win.
Dyshawn Pierre paced Dayton with 11 points, one of three Flyers to reach double figures on the afternoon. While much was made of the non-call on Galloway’s push off to gain separation for the game-winning shot, Dayton’s inability to slow down the senior guard in the first half didn’t help matters either.
Dayton is now left to play the “waiting game,” hoping that their overall resume and solid play down the stretch is enough to merit a spot in the NCAA tournament field.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)