Atlantic 10 Tournament: Langston Galloway’s three-pointer sends Saint Joseph’s to semifinal round (VIDEO)
Mar 14, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
The second Atlantic 10 quarterfinal of the day was a pivotal one, with five-seed Dayton and four-seed Saint Joseph’s both looking to strengthen their case for inclusion in the NCAA tournament field. And unlike their last meeting, a 79-53 Hawk victory on February 25, their matchup in Brooklyn went right down to the wire.
Langston Galloway, who scored 20 of his 31 points in the first half, hit a three-pointer with 17.9 seconds remaining to give Saint Joseph’s a lead they would not relinquish. The Hawks won 70-67, advancing to Saturday’s semifinals where they’ll play nine-seed St. Bonaventure. Freshman DeAndre Bembry added 15 points and Ronald Roberts Jr. 11 for Saint Joseph’s, which ended a two-game losing streak with the win.
Dyshawn Pierre paced Dayton with 11 points, one of three Flyers to reach double figures on the afternoon. While much was made of the non-call on Galloway’s push off to gain separation for the game-winning shot, Dayton’s inability to slow down the senior guard in the first half didn’t help matters either.
Dayton is now left to play the “waiting game,” hoping that their overall resume and solid play down the stretch is enough to merit a spot in the NCAA tournament field.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)