Mar 15, 2014, 1:50 AM EST
Even with Maurice Creek making just three of his 12 shot attempts, George Washington was able to put together more than enough offense in their 85-77 win over UMass in the final Atlantic 10 quarterfinal of the day. Creek finished the game with 12 points, one of six Colonials to reach double figures with Isaiah Armwood and Patricio Garino scoring 15 apiece to lead the way.
As a team George Washington shot 50.8% from the field, and after UMass mounted a second half rally to pull to within eight with 6:46 remaining Mike Lonergan’s team had the answer. George Washington responded with a 12-2 run to expand their lead to 18 points, providing the Colonials with enough of a cushion to ensure their place in Saturday’s semifinals.
Maxie Esho led UMass with 22 points and seven rebounds and Chaz Williams added 19 for the Minutemen, who will now wait to learn where they’ll begin play in the NCAA tournament. George Washington will join them in the 68-team field but they’ve got a semifinal against VCU to worry about first. The teams split the regular season series, with the home team winning both meetings.
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)