Mar 15, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
With Arizona, Florida and Wichita State all but locking up three out of the four No. 1 seeds, we decided to take a look at some of the remaining contenders for the fourth No. 1. Here’s a look at some key information for those contending for a No. 1 seed as we move closer to Selection Sunday.
RPI: 8, SOS: 34, KenPom: 6
Key wins: Villanova (2), Xavier (2), Nebraska, at Saint Joseph’s, Arizona State
Key losses: at St. John’s, at Georgetown, San Diego State, George Washington
While Creighton lacks the strength of schedule of some of the other No. 1 seed contenders, Doug McDermott and the Bluejays do own two key wins over Villanova — another contender for a No. 1 seed — and Creighton is also the one still playing for the Big East title against Providence on Saturday. If the Bluejays knock off Providence and have some other teams fall early, could they sneak into a No. 1 seed?
RPI: 7, SOS: 8, KenPom: 8
Key wins: Michigan, Syracuse, North Carolina, Virginia, UCLA, at Pittsburgh
Key losses: at Clemson, at Notre Dame, at Wake Forest, Kansas, Arizona
The Blue Devils are still vying for the final No. 1 seed as they face N.C. State in the ACC Tournament semifinals on Saturday with another potential game against fellow No. 1 seed contender Virginia in the title game. If the Blue Devils can win out, they have a chance at a No. 1 seed.
RPI: 10, SOS: 11, KenPom: 11
Key wins: Nebraska (2), Michigan State (2), Minnesota (2), at Wisconsin
Key losses: Charlotte, at Indiana, at Iowa
Michigan would help itself out quite a bit if they could beat No. 24 Ohio State for the second time this season in the Big Ten semifinals on Saturday and a potential shot at Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game could act as a play-in game for a No. 1 seed, depending on how some of these other teams fare the rest of the way.
RPI: 6, SOS: 50, KenPom: 7
Key wins: Kansas, Providence (2), Xavier, at Saint Joseph’s
Key losses: Seton Hall, Creighton (2), at Syracuse
The Wildcats are holding their breath after falling to Seton Hall in their opening game of the Big East Tournament earlier in the week and they’ll have to hope that the favorites in the Big Ten and the ACC keep losing.
RPI: 11, SOS: 43, KenPom: 5
Key wins: North Carolina, at Pittsburgh, Syracuse
Key losses: at Green Bay, at Maryland, at Duke, VCU
The Cavaliers are still fighting for an ACC title and if they win out against Pitt and a potential game for the championship against Duke, Tony Bennett’s ballclub could find itself in position for a potential No. 1 seed. Virginia’s resume is damaged by only three wins against top-50 opponents — two of them at home — and the bad losses on the road at Green Bay and Maryland are an eye-sore on the resume.
RPI: 5, SOS: 3, KenPom: 10
Key wins: Florida, Saint Louis, at Virginia, at Michigan, Michigan State
Key losses: at Indiana, Northwestern
The Badgers have certainly played a tough non-conference schedule with wins over No. 1 seed Florida and potential No. 1 seeds — on the road — in Virginia and Michigan. Can Wisconsin win another against No. 22 Michigan State on Saturday in the Big Ten semifinals and win the Big Ten Tournament title on Sunday to secure the final No. 1 seed? It’s certainly possible.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)