Mar 15, 2014, 5:32 PM EDT
The 2013-14 season opened on an US army base in South Korea as Georgetown and Oregon faced off, a meeting that re-introduced the world to Joshua Smith and was the initial win that propelled Oregon into the top 25 rankings. The trip must have been a success: according to the Pac-12, Washington and Texas will open the 2015-16 season on November 13 in Shanghai.
One immediate take-away is whether this contest will help recruiting efforts. This game will present both teams with massive exposure: playing in China will be hyped months before the season begins, and countless classes of recruits will be aware of the two participants. UW and Texas will be making history by making the trip to Shanghai — this match-up will be the first between college or pro teams in China. Also, do either of the schools, or conferences, begin to recruit westward? Are there prospects in Asia and the Philippines that the conference feels they can tap into? The potential for recruiting and marketing makes this event a must-have for both the Pac-12 and Big 12.
This seems like a strange moment to announce this game — why in the middle of conference tournament week? — but it is also hard not to get excited for both a future season of college basketball and the expansion of the college game. For years, colleges take their teams on preseason overseas trips every four seasons, and this is just an extension of that philosophy.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Friday was photo day in Lawrence.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The Spartans are now 1-1 on the trip.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s Joey van Zegeren’s first year with the Northwestern program.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Stanford falls to 1-1 on the foreign tour.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
The ex-Oklahoma commit decides to state in-state.
Aug 28, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Last week, 24 of the best high school basketball players participated in the 10th annual event.
Aug 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Three of Jordan Bohannon’s older brothers have played Division I college basketball, but he’s the first to pick their father’s alma mater.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
During his first bout with the disease Smith suffered cardiac arrest and lapsed into a coma that lasted for three days.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
The team many expect to be a national title contender has a new court to play on this season.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Crean addressed the recent off-court issues at a school event in Indianapolis.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
And the toss was a solid one as well.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Herard has scheduled official visits to three of the five remaining schools on his list.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 Canadian averaged 9.1 points and 3.0 rebounds per game last season.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Georgetown, Georgia Tech and Saint Joseph’s failed to make the cut for the New Jersey native.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Early favorite Maryland and reigning champion Wisconsin both open league play at home.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Williams’ arraignment on first degree suspicion of forgery charges was postponed until September 2.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Gabriel is a five-star prospect with offers from Kentucky and Duke.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Dambrot is the head coach at Akron.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Westbrook wasn’t a top 25 prospect in high school. He was a top three player in the NBA last year.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
It’s the first preseason all-american team that we’ve seen this summer.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)