Mar 16, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
In a bit of an upset, Virginia become the fourth No. 1 East after winning the ACC tournament title over Duke on Sunday afternoon. They won the ACC regular season title as well, and they will be playing in Raliegh for the first weekend. Assuming Virginia doesn’t become the first No. 1 seed to get bounced by a No. 16 seed, they will face the winner of Memphis-George Washington.
Villanova was the No. 2 seed in the east, with a road that could take them through Buffalo and Madison Square Garden. The committee did us a favor with the No. 7-No. 10 game in that region, as UConn, a former Big East foe of Villanova, will be squaring off with St. Joseph’s. Villanova and St. Joe’s are bitter rivals. Their games are called The Holy War. That’s serious.
Iowa State, the Big 12 tournament champs, will be the No. 3 seed in the East, taking on a sneaky-good NC Central team. The No. 6 seed in the East is North Carolina, and they square off with No. 11 seed Providence, the Big East tournament champions.
The No. 4 seed in the East region is Michigan State, one of the most talented teams in the country that just so happen to be streaking at the right time. They rolled through the Big Ten tournament, but will face a tough matchup with Delaware in the first round.
Cincinnati earned the No. 5 seed in the East, but they will be heading out west to take on No. 12 seed Harvard in the opening round. That’s a tough matchup for the Bearcats, who will run into a team that is almost as stingy as they are defensively.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)