Mar 16, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
In a bit of an upset, Virginia become the fourth No. 1 East after winning the ACC tournament title over Duke on Sunday afternoon. They won the ACC regular season title as well, and they will be playing in Raliegh for the first weekend. Assuming Virginia doesn’t become the first No. 1 seed to get bounced by a No. 16 seed, they will face the winner of Memphis-George Washington.
Villanova was the No. 2 seed in the east, with a road that could take them through Buffalo and Madison Square Garden. The committee did us a favor with the No. 7-No. 10 game in that region, as UConn, a former Big East foe of Villanova, will be squaring off with St. Joseph’s. Villanova and St. Joe’s are bitter rivals. Their games are called The Holy War. That’s serious.
Iowa State, the Big 12 tournament champs, will be the No. 3 seed in the East, taking on a sneaky-good NC Central team. The No. 6 seed in the East is North Carolina, and they square off with No. 11 seed Providence, the Big East tournament champions.
The No. 4 seed in the East region is Michigan State, one of the most talented teams in the country that just so happen to be streaking at the right time. They rolled through the Big Ten tournament, but will face a tough matchup with Delaware in the first round.
Cincinnati earned the No. 5 seed in the East, but they will be heading out west to take on No. 12 seed Harvard in the opening round. That’s a tough matchup for the Bearcats, who will run into a team that is almost as stingy as they are defensively.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)