Mar 16, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
In a bit of an upset, Virginia become the fourth No. 1 East after winning the ACC tournament title over Duke on Sunday afternoon. They won the ACC regular season title as well, and they will be playing in Raliegh for the first weekend. Assuming Virginia doesn’t become the first No. 1 seed to get bounced by a No. 16 seed, they will face the winner of Memphis-George Washington.
Villanova was the No. 2 seed in the east, with a road that could take them through Buffalo and Madison Square Garden. The committee did us a favor with the No. 7-No. 10 game in that region, as UConn, a former Big East foe of Villanova, will be squaring off with St. Joseph’s. Villanova and St. Joe’s are bitter rivals. Their games are called The Holy War. That’s serious.
Iowa State, the Big 12 tournament champs, will be the No. 3 seed in the East, taking on a sneaky-good NC Central team. The No. 6 seed in the East is North Carolina, and they square off with No. 11 seed Providence, the Big East tournament champions.
The No. 4 seed in the East region is Michigan State, one of the most talented teams in the country that just so happen to be streaking at the right time. They rolled through the Big Ten tournament, but will face a tough matchup with Delaware in the first round.
Cincinnati earned the No. 5 seed in the East, but they will be heading out west to take on No. 12 seed Harvard in the opening round. That’s a tough matchup for the Bearcats, who will run into a team that is almost as stingy as they are defensively.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)