Mar 16, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
Arizona was named the No. 1 seed out west, meaning that they will be playing their first two games in San Diego and, assuming they advance, in Anaheim.
The No. 8-No. 9 game in their region will feature Gonzaga against Oklahoma State, who was the one team that every No. 1 seed in the country was looking to avoid in their region. The Cowboys struggled throughout much of the season, but now with Marcus Smart playing some of the best basketball of his career, they can beat anyone.
The No. 2 seed out west is Wisconsin, who draws American in the opening round in Milwaukee, but like No. 1 seed Arizona, the Badgers got a tough draw with a potential Round of 32 game as they may end up playing Oregon. Like Oklahoma State, Oregon is a team that reached the top ten at one point this season before struggling to start Pac-12 play. They bounced back, however, and were one of the hottest teams in the country down the stretch of the season. Oregon matches up really well with Wisconsin.
The No. 3 seed in the West is Creighton and National Player of the Year Doug McDermott, who get an intriguing Round of 32 matchup with the winner of No. 6 Baylor and No. 11 Nebraska. If it’s the latter, that’s a heated in-state rivalry between two programs that are having their best seasons in a long, long time. If its Baylor, well, can you imagine what Creighton’s shooters can do to the Baylor zone?
The No. 4 seed is San Diego State, who will be playing their first two games in Spokane. The Aztecs will square off with New Mexico State and the massive Sim Bhullar in the opening round. It also sets up a potentially incredible Sweet 16 matchup between Arizona and San Diego State.
One of the trendiest upset picks will be No. 12 seed North Dakota State knocking off No. 5 seed Oklahoma. The Sooners finished second in a loaded Big 12 conference, but they aren’t a great defensive team and NDSU can score.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)