Mar 16, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
Arizona was named the No. 1 seed out west, meaning that they will be playing their first two games in San Diego and, assuming they advance, in Anaheim.
The No. 8-No. 9 game in their region will feature Gonzaga against Oklahoma State, who was the one team that every No. 1 seed in the country was looking to avoid in their region. The Cowboys struggled throughout much of the season, but now with Marcus Smart playing some of the best basketball of his career, they can beat anyone.
The No. 2 seed out west is Wisconsin, who draws American in the opening round in Milwaukee, but like No. 1 seed Arizona, the Badgers got a tough draw with a potential Round of 32 game as they may end up playing Oregon. Like Oklahoma State, Oregon is a team that reached the top ten at one point this season before struggling to start Pac-12 play. They bounced back, however, and were one of the hottest teams in the country down the stretch of the season. Oregon matches up really well with Wisconsin.
The No. 3 seed in the West is Creighton and National Player of the Year Doug McDermott, who get an intriguing Round of 32 matchup with the winner of No. 6 Baylor and No. 11 Nebraska. If it’s the latter, that’s a heated in-state rivalry between two programs that are having their best seasons in a long, long time. If its Baylor, well, can you imagine what Creighton’s shooters can do to the Baylor zone?
The No. 4 seed is San Diego State, who will be playing their first two games in Spokane. The Aztecs will square off with New Mexico State and the massive Sim Bhullar in the opening round. It also sets up a potentially incredible Sweet 16 matchup between Arizona and San Diego State.
One of the trendiest upset picks will be No. 12 seed North Dakota State knocking off No. 5 seed Oklahoma. The Sooners finished second in a loaded Big 12 conference, but they aren’t a great defensive team and NDSU can score.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)