Mar 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Florida, Wichita State, Arizona and Virginia claimed the No. 1 seeds in the 2014 men’s NCAA tournament, while the seeding committee also dished out a few surprises in the bracket, ensuring yet another lively March Madness.
The Gators (32-2), ranked No. 1 in the polls, claimed the tournament’s top overall seed and the top spot in the South Region after beating Kentucky in the SEC tournament title game. They’ll face the winner of the Colorado-Pittsburgh, while Kansas, Syracuse and UCLA round out the top four seeds in the region.
Virginia (28-6) won its first ACC Tournament since 1976 with a win over Duke and they were rewarded with the fourth No. 1 seed in the East Region. The experienced Cavaliers gets Memphis or George Washington in the third round while Villanova, Iowa State and Michigan State loom as potential threats as the remaining top four seeds in the region. Should the Cavaliers been the fourth No. 1 seed?
Wichita State (34-0) got the top line in the Midwest Region, but could face Kentucky in the round of 32, a matchup that would feature the team with the most NBA prospects vs. the only unbeaten program in the field. If the Shockers get past Kentucky, they’ll likely face Louisville, the 4 seed in the region. Michigan and Duke are the 2 and 3 seeds in the region.
Arizona (30-4) may have fallen to UCLA in the Pac 12 Tournament title game but can the Wildcats bounce back to get by a West Region that includes Wisconsin, Creighton and San Diego State?
First Four games (Tuesday, Wednesday in Dayton, Ohio)
No. 12 seed: N.C. State (21-13) vs. Xavier (21-12)
No. 11 seed: Iowa (20-12) vs. Tennessee (21-12)
That’s the rundown. Now you’ll need to prep for your bracket. The links below will get you started.
Which teams got snubbed by the committee? We take a look at the bubble teams that didn’t make it.
CBT’s 2014 NCAA Tournament South Region Instant Analysis. Does Florida make it past Kansas, Syracuse and UCLA?
CBT’s 2014 NCAA Tournament East Region Instant Analysis. Can Villanova, Michigan State and Iowa State trump No. 1 seed Virginia?
CBT’s 2014 NCAA Tournament West Region Instant Analysis. Does Arizona have enough to get past Wisconsin, Creighton and San Diego State?
CBT’s 2014 NCAA Tournament Midwest Region Instant Analysis. Can Wichita State navigate past a loaded region that includes Michigan, Duke and defending champion Louisville?
Now that you’ve gotten the information you need on all things March Madness are you feeling confident with your bracket? Then be sure to enter College Basketball Talk’s bracket challenge to see if you can beat our experts.
And be sure to follow CBT on Twitter for the latest Selection Sunday thoughts and updates throughout the NCAA Tournament:
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)