Mar 16, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Adam Silver took over as the NBA commissioner in February. Quickly after succeeding David Stern, Silver has made it clear, he is going to push to raise the age limit for the NBA from 19 to 20.
Many would like to see the one-and-done era axed, believing players would be better developed for the NBA with another season of college basketball. It would also make the college game a better product with more experienced players, which would also help with casual fans, who will have more familiarity with teams since star players would have to stick around for more than just a single season.
Though, not everyone is a fan of Silver’s attempts to change the age limit. One of those critics is Billy Donovan, head coach of the top-ranked Florida Gators. While some see benefits, he sees risks in an article published on Saturday in the Orlando Sentinel.
“College basketball coaches and programs are taking on all the risks,” Donovan told the Sentinel. “The kid doesn’t want to be in college and wants to be in the NBA, but because of the rules, he has to stay in college. Now you’re opening yourself up for potential NCAA violations. … You’ve got players like Jabari Parker or Julius Randle, and there is so much coming at these kids. If a kid takes something he’s not supposed to take or he is enticed into something, it’s the colleges that are put in harm’s way.”
It is interesting to see a prominent head coach come out and voice his opinion against the proposed change. And Donovan makes valid points. Despite publicly sharing his concerns, the decision is ultimately in the hands of Silver and the NBA collective bargaining agreement.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)