Mar 16, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Adam Silver took over as the NBA commissioner in February. Quickly after succeeding David Stern, Silver has made it clear, he is going to push to raise the age limit for the NBA from 19 to 20.
Many would like to see the one-and-done era axed, believing players would be better developed for the NBA with another season of college basketball. It would also make the college game a better product with more experienced players, which would also help with casual fans, who will have more familiarity with teams since star players would have to stick around for more than just a single season.
Though, not everyone is a fan of Silver’s attempts to change the age limit. One of those critics is Billy Donovan, head coach of the top-ranked Florida Gators. While some see benefits, he sees risks in an article published on Saturday in the Orlando Sentinel.
“College basketball coaches and programs are taking on all the risks,” Donovan told the Sentinel. “The kid doesn’t want to be in college and wants to be in the NBA, but because of the rules, he has to stay in college. Now you’re opening yourself up for potential NCAA violations. … You’ve got players like Jabari Parker or Julius Randle, and there is so much coming at these kids. If a kid takes something he’s not supposed to take or he is enticed into something, it’s the colleges that are put in harm’s way.”
It is interesting to see a prominent head coach come out and voice his opinion against the proposed change. And Donovan makes valid points. Despite publicly sharing his concerns, the decision is ultimately in the hands of Silver and the NBA collective bargaining agreement.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)