Mar 16, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 22 Michigan State vs. No. 8 Michigan, 3:30 p.m. (CBS)
The Wolverines have won both games over their in-state rival this season. Though the Spartans have, like we’ve discussed all season long, proved how tough they can be in March when they are at full strength on Saturday in a win over Wisconsin. Michigan State can take another step forward in what could be another deep tournament run this afternoon, while Michigan can potentially secure the final No. 1 seed either way.
OTHER GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 7 Duke vs. No. 6 Virginia, 1 p.m. (ESPN)
T.J. Warren may have won ACC Player of the Year, but Jabari Parker and Duke advanced to the tournament championship game on Saturday behind a balanced scoring attack. The Blue Devils have an outside shot at the No. 1 overall seed, as Michigan could clinch that spot Sunday afternoon. The Cavaliers, the ACC regular season champions, have not played the Blue Devils since a 69-65 loss inside Cameron Indoor Stadium more than two months ago.
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) Plenty of teams are sitting on the bubble, waiting for the committee’s decision. Teams like Louisville, Syracuse — two teams going in opposite directions — are both tournament bound, but where will they be seeded. Here are several things to look for on Selection Sunday following the games.
2) The No. 1 seed in the East region is still undetermined heading into Selection Sunday. Duke and Michigan both have an argument. Will Michigan move to the top line, or can Duke make a late push and persuade the committee for the top spot in the East?
3) The Harrison brothers combined for 34 points (12-of-20 shooting) with 12 assists (three turnovers) in Kentucky’s 70-58 win over Georgia. Are they turning the corner at the right time? We’ll get a better idea this afternoon in the SEC final against Florida, which hasn’t lost since Dec. 2.
4) VCU is playing very well as of late, winners of its last six including victories over then-No. 10 Saint Louis and rolling past George Washington in the Atlantic 10 semifinals. The Rams get Saint Joseph’s, one of possibly six A10 teams to be in the tournament, in the finals Sunday afternoon.
5) Georgia State is the top seed in the Sun Belt Conference. Ryan Harrow (remember him?) and R.J. Hunter have led the way for the Panthers. They’ve defeated Louisiana-Lafayette twice this season, by a combined 10 points. However, Elfrid Payton is one of the best mid-major players in the nation.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (24)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)