Mar 17, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Indiana missed out on the NCAA tournament this season, which wasn’t a surprise.
The Hoosiers did not have a good season. They hadn’t been on the bubble for a couple of weeks.
What was surprising, however, was that Indiana was also snubbed by the NIT, meaning that their postseason would have to be the CBI, the CIT or … well, nothing.
And the Hoosiers weren’t having that.
“We’re Indiana. We don’t play in the CBI,” Athletics Director Fred Glass told the Indianapolis Star.
Oh. Good to know.
Can we ask about storming the floor after beating Wisconsin then?
This is the fourth time in head coach Tom Crean’s six-year tenure that the Hoosiers have missed the postseason. They finished the season 17-15 overall and 7-11 in the Big Ten with a first round exit in the Big Ten tournament to their name.
Indiana wasn’t the only big name program to be left out of the NIT. His old school, Marquette, will not be playing any more basketball, either.
“We are obviously disappointed not to be participating in the postseason this year,” head coach Buzz Williams said. “We were excited by the opportunity to continue to compete and improve, but weren’t included in the NIT field. It’s extremely difficult to know our seniors, who have accomplished so much on the court during their careers have played their finals games at Marquette.”
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)