Mar 17, 2014, 10:21 AM EST
Indiana missed out on the NCAA tournament this season, which wasn’t a surprise.
The Hoosiers did not have a good season. They hadn’t been on the bubble for a couple of weeks.
What was surprising, however, was that Indiana was also snubbed by the NIT, meaning that their postseason would have to be the CBI, the CIT or … well, nothing.
And the Hoosiers weren’t having that.
“We’re Indiana. We don’t play in the CBI,” Athletics Director Fred Glass told the Indianapolis Star.
Oh. Good to know.
Can we ask about storming the floor after beating Wisconsin then?
This is the fourth time in head coach Tom Crean’s six-year tenure that the Hoosiers have missed the postseason. They finished the season 17-15 overall and 7-11 in the Big Ten with a first round exit in the Big Ten tournament to their name.
Indiana wasn’t the only big name program to be left out of the NIT. His old school, Marquette, will not be playing any more basketball, either.
“We are obviously disappointed not to be participating in the postseason this year,” head coach Buzz Williams said. “We were excited by the opportunity to continue to compete and improve, but weren’t included in the NIT field. It’s extremely difficult to know our seniors, who have accomplished so much on the court during their careers have played their finals games at Marquette.”
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)