Mar 17, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Indiana missed out on the NCAA tournament this season, which wasn’t a surprise.
The Hoosiers did not have a good season. They hadn’t been on the bubble for a couple of weeks.
What was surprising, however, was that Indiana was also snubbed by the NIT, meaning that their postseason would have to be the CBI, the CIT or … well, nothing.
And the Hoosiers weren’t having that.
“We’re Indiana. We don’t play in the CBI,” Athletics Director Fred Glass told the Indianapolis Star.
Oh. Good to know.
Can we ask about storming the floor after beating Wisconsin then?
This is the fourth time in head coach Tom Crean’s six-year tenure that the Hoosiers have missed the postseason. They finished the season 17-15 overall and 7-11 in the Big Ten with a first round exit in the Big Ten tournament to their name.
Indiana wasn’t the only big name program to be left out of the NIT. His old school, Marquette, will not be playing any more basketball, either.
“We are obviously disappointed not to be participating in the postseason this year,” head coach Buzz Williams said. “We were excited by the opportunity to continue to compete and improve, but weren’t included in the NIT field. It’s extremely difficult to know our seniors, who have accomplished so much on the court during their careers have played their finals games at Marquette.”
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 0
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)