Mar 17, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Northwestern sophomore shooter Kale Abrahamson has opted to transfer out of the Big Ten program, the school announced in a release on Monday. Abrahamson appeared in all 65 games of his Northwestern career the past two seasons and averaged 15.4 minutes per game this season while shooting 36 percent from the three-point line.
The 6-foot-7 Abrahamson gave the Wildcats some key minutes during the Northwestern’s successful stretch of play in the Big Ten this season but never seemed to fit into Chris Collins’ new system.
”Kale let us know that he would like to seek an opportunity to continue his playing career and his studies at another institution. We are appreciative of all of his efforts during his time at Northwestern and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors,” Northwestern head coach Chris Collins said in the release.
Abrahamson will have two years of eligibility left after this season.
“I’ve really enjoyed my time at Northwestern. I’ve made some lifelong friends, and the support from the fans and my teammates has been unbelievable. It’s time for me to look for a better opportunity, but I’ll never forget what I’ve learned and all the memories I’ve made here at NU,” Abrahamson said in the release.
With five new recruits coming in next season, Collins is quickly re-doing the Northwestern roster so that it fits his more uptempo style of play after previous head coach Bill Carmody ran a Princeton offense. Abrahamson is the third player to transfer out of the program since Collins took over, joining forward Mike Turner and center Chier Ajou. Look for Northwestern to seek graduate transfers or other transfers this coming offseason as Collins continues to rebuild.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 1
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)