Mar 17, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
The seventh annual College Basketball Invitational postseason tournament also kicks off this week as Oregon State, Penn State, Texas A&M and UTEP are a few of the teams to headline the 16-team field.
The most intriguing first-round matchup has to be Fresno State — winners of nine out of its last 12 — traveling to El Paso to face UTEP.
First-round action begins with one game on Tuesday and seven games on Wednesday as play continues into early April. One of the unique things about the CBI is the best-of-three championship series at the end of the tournament. Last season Santa Clara defeated George Mason in three games and in five of the previous six years of the CBI, the championship series has made it to the third and deciding game.
Tuesday, March 18
Stony Brook (23-10) at Siena (15-17)
Wednesday, March 19
Hampton (18-12) at Penn State (15-17)
Wyoming (18-14) at Texas A&M (17-15)
Morehead State (20-13) at Illinois State (16-15)
South Dakota State (19-12) at Old Dominion (16-17)
Princeton (20-8) at Tulane (17-16)
Radford (21-12) at Oregon State (16-15)
Fresno State (17-15) at UTEP (23-10)
Quarterfinals: Monday, March 24
Semifinals: Wednesday, March 26
Best-of-Three Championship Series
Monday, March 31, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 2, 9 p.m.
Friday, April 4* (if necessary)
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 33
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (36)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)