Mar 17, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
The seventh annual College Basketball Invitational postseason tournament also kicks off this week as Oregon State, Penn State, Texas A&M and UTEP are a few of the teams to headline the 16-team field.
The most intriguing first-round matchup has to be Fresno State — winners of nine out of its last 12 — traveling to El Paso to face UTEP.
First-round action begins with one game on Tuesday and seven games on Wednesday as play continues into early April. One of the unique things about the CBI is the best-of-three championship series at the end of the tournament. Last season Santa Clara defeated George Mason in three games and in five of the previous six years of the CBI, the championship series has made it to the third and deciding game.
Tuesday, March 18
Stony Brook (23-10) at Siena (15-17)
Wednesday, March 19
Hampton (18-12) at Penn State (15-17)
Wyoming (18-14) at Texas A&M (17-15)
Morehead State (20-13) at Illinois State (16-15)
South Dakota State (19-12) at Old Dominion (16-17)
Princeton (20-8) at Tulane (17-16)
Radford (21-12) at Oregon State (16-15)
Fresno State (17-15) at UTEP (23-10)
Quarterfinals: Monday, March 24
Semifinals: Wednesday, March 26
Best-of-Three Championship Series
Monday, March 31, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 2, 9 p.m.
Friday, April 4* (if necessary)
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Maryland transfer eligible this season at Georgia Tech (3)
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)