Mar 17, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
The seventh annual College Basketball Invitational postseason tournament also kicks off this week as Oregon State, Penn State, Texas A&M and UTEP are a few of the teams to headline the 16-team field.
The most intriguing first-round matchup has to be Fresno State — winners of nine out of its last 12 — traveling to El Paso to face UTEP.
First-round action begins with one game on Tuesday and seven games on Wednesday as play continues into early April. One of the unique things about the CBI is the best-of-three championship series at the end of the tournament. Last season Santa Clara defeated George Mason in three games and in five of the previous six years of the CBI, the championship series has made it to the third and deciding game.
Tuesday, March 18
Stony Brook (23-10) at Siena (15-17)
Wednesday, March 19
Hampton (18-12) at Penn State (15-17)
Wyoming (18-14) at Texas A&M (17-15)
Morehead State (20-13) at Illinois State (16-15)
South Dakota State (19-12) at Old Dominion (16-17)
Princeton (20-8) at Tulane (17-16)
Radford (21-12) at Oregon State (16-15)
Fresno State (17-15) at UTEP (23-10)
Quarterfinals: Monday, March 24
Semifinals: Wednesday, March 26
Best-of-Three Championship Series
Monday, March 31, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 2, 9 p.m.
Friday, April 4* (if necessary)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 6
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 6
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 68
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 16
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (68)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)