Mar 17, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
The seventh annual College Basketball Invitational postseason tournament also kicks off this week as Oregon State, Penn State, Texas A&M and UTEP are a few of the teams to headline the 16-team field.
The most intriguing first-round matchup has to be Fresno State — winners of nine out of its last 12 — traveling to El Paso to face UTEP.
First-round action begins with one game on Tuesday and seven games on Wednesday as play continues into early April. One of the unique things about the CBI is the best-of-three championship series at the end of the tournament. Last season Santa Clara defeated George Mason in three games and in five of the previous six years of the CBI, the championship series has made it to the third and deciding game.
Tuesday, March 18
Stony Brook (23-10) at Siena (15-17)
Wednesday, March 19
Hampton (18-12) at Penn State (15-17)
Wyoming (18-14) at Texas A&M (17-15)
Morehead State (20-13) at Illinois State (16-15)
South Dakota State (19-12) at Old Dominion (16-17)
Princeton (20-8) at Tulane (17-16)
Radford (21-12) at Oregon State (16-15)
Fresno State (17-15) at UTEP (23-10)
Quarterfinals: Monday, March 24
Semifinals: Wednesday, March 26
Best-of-Three Championship Series
Monday, March 31, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 2, 9 p.m.
Friday, April 4* (if necessary)
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)