Mar 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Fran McCaffery’s 13-year old son Patrick will have surgery to remove a tumor from his thyroid only hours before the Hawkeyes are scheduled to play Tennessee in the First Four in Dayton.
The plan, as of Monday night, was for McCaffery to fly back to Iowa City for the surgery before returning to Dayton to coach his team on Wednesday night.
“My hope is … if I can, fly back for the surgery and then fly back for the game if I can work that out,” McCaffery told the AP Sunday. “We’ll see, logistically, if we can pull all that together.”
It will not be known if the tumor is malignant until after the surgery is completed, but between the health issues that his son is battling and the recent struggles of his basketball team, it’s not hard to understand that this is a trying time for McCaffery.
The Iowa team wore Team Pat shirts as warm-ups during the Big Ten tournament.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)