Mar 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Fran McCaffery’s 13-year old son Patrick will have surgery to remove a tumor from his thyroid only hours before the Hawkeyes are scheduled to play Tennessee in the First Four in Dayton.
The plan, as of Monday night, was for McCaffery to fly back to Iowa City for the surgery before returning to Dayton to coach his team on Wednesday night.
“My hope is … if I can, fly back for the surgery and then fly back for the game if I can work that out,” McCaffery told the AP Sunday. “We’ll see, logistically, if we can pull all that together.”
It will not be known if the tumor is malignant until after the surgery is completed, but between the health issues that his son is battling and the recent struggles of his basketball team, it’s not hard to understand that this is a trying time for McCaffery.
The Iowa team wore Team Pat shirts as warm-ups during the Big Ten tournament.
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)