Mar 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Fran McCaffery’s 13-year old son Patrick will have surgery to remove a tumor from his thyroid only hours before the Hawkeyes are scheduled to play Tennessee in the First Four in Dayton.
The plan, as of Monday night, was for McCaffery to fly back to Iowa City for the surgery before returning to Dayton to coach his team on Wednesday night.
“My hope is … if I can, fly back for the surgery and then fly back for the game if I can work that out,” McCaffery told the AP Sunday. “We’ll see, logistically, if we can pull all that together.”
It will not be known if the tumor is malignant until after the surgery is completed, but between the health issues that his son is battling and the recent struggles of his basketball team, it’s not hard to understand that this is a trying time for McCaffery.
The Iowa team wore Team Pat shirts as warm-ups during the Big Ten tournament.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)