Mar 18, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After serving as the interim head coach for the final five games of the season, Lamar Director of Athletics Jason Henderson removed the interim tag from head coach Tic Price on Tuesday afternoon.
Price took over the program after Pat Knight, son of the Hall of Fame coach, was fired after two-plus seasons.
“This is a great job,” Price said in a statement. “From a recruiting standpoint, we are in a great location — within a 250 mile radius you can find talented players. From an academic standpoint, Lamar can challenge any school in the country. We have some really good professors and an excellent administration. There is a sense of family here, and unless you are a part of Lamar you just won’t understand it.
“My family and I have grown to love the Beaumont area. We have met some wonderful people, are part of a wonderful church and this is a great place to live. I truly love this university. It has given me the opportunity to grow professionally as a coach and an administrator.”
This will be his fourth head coaching job after roaming the sidelines at the University of New Orleans (1994-1997), Memphis (1997-1999) and McNeese State (2001-2006). Price has compiled a combined 168-131 record in those three stints.
The Cardinals are 7-54 (4-32 Southland) in the last two seasons. Price was 1-4 as an interim coach.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)