Mar 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 12 NC State vs. No. 12 Xavier, 9:10 p.m. (truTV)
Xavier is heading to a familiar arena after spending years as a member of the Atlantic 10. Hopefully that serves as an advantage for the Musketeers. They go head-to-head with NC State, a team that was able to sneak into the field with an ACC Tournament win over struggling Syracuse (and some added lobbying from Coach K). The Wolfpack are dangerous with one of the field’s most dynamic scorers in T.J. Warren, the ACC Player of the Year.
Xavier will counter with a gifted scorer of their own in lead guard Semaj Christon, Warren’s prep school teammate at Brewster Academy (N.H.). He forms a one-two punch with Matt Stainbrook, who will be back from a knee injury.
The winner of this game gets a favorable Round of 64 matchup. Saint Louis, the No. 5 seed in the Midwest, is a talented team, which won 19 straight games at one point this season and cracked the top 10. However, the Billikens have dropped four of their last five games.
OTHER GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 16 Albany vs. No. 16 Mount St. Mary’s, 6:40 p.m. (truTV)
The No. 4 seed from the American East Tournament and the No. 4 seed from the Northeast Conference Tournament meet in the First Four to start the NCAA tournament.
Julian Norfleet scores 17.5 points per game for the Mountaineers. Rashad Whack, the team’s leading scorer, averaged 23.0 points per game in the NEC Tournament. The Great Danes have Australian native Peter Hooley, averaging 15.7 points per game. He’s one of four Albany players to average double figures in points.
The winner of this one has the pleasure of facing the top overall seed Florida, which hasn’t lost since Dec. 2.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET? No. 6 Georgia State vs. No. 3 Clemson, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) Robert Morris in the NIT … as an No. 8 seed. The Colonials will look to pull off the first round upset for the second year in a row against top-seeded St. John’s.
2) Florida Gulf Coast needs to upset No. 1 Florida State in the NIT first round. Then No. 4 Georgetown needs to top West Virginia. If that happens, the NIT will get a Georgetown-Dunk City rematch. I’d watch that.
3) Belmont and Green Bay, two very good mid-major teams that slipped up in their respective conference tournaments, go head-to-head in the NIT first round.
4) VMI’s high-power offense travels to New York to take on Canisius’ top scorer Billy Baron. That game headlines the CIT slate of games on Tuesday.
5) Indiana State is a pretty good mid-major team with a solid senior point guard in Jake Odum. How does he handle the Arkansas pressure?
- No. 8 Robert Morris vs. No. 1 St. John’s, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
- No. 8 Florida Gulf Coast vs. No. 1 Florida State, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
- No. 5 West Virginia vs. No. 4 Georgetown, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
- No. 5 Belmont vs. No. 4 Green Bay, 8:15 p.m. (ESPN3)
- No. 8 High Point vs. No. 1 Minnesota, 8:15 p.m. (ESPN3)
- No. 6 Indiana State vs. No. 3 Arkansas, 9 p.m. (ESPN)
- No. 7 Davidson vs. No. 2 Missouri, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
- No. 5 Utah vs. No. 4 Saint Mary’s, 11 p.m. (ESPN2)
- Stony Brook vs. Siena, 7 p.m.
- VMI vs. Canisius, 7 p.m.
- Wright State vs. East Carolina, 7 p.m.
- Norfolk State vs. Eastern Michigan, 7 p.m.
- Chattanooga vs. East Tennessee State, 7 p.m.
- Alabama State vs. Sam Houston, 8 p.m.
- Columbia vs. Valparaiso, 8:05 p.m.
- Portland State vs. San Diego, 10 p.m.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)