Mar 18, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Two weeks ago, Tennessee-Martin relieved head coach Jason James of his duties following a 8-23 (3-13 Ohio Valley) season, which put the Skyhawks last in the Ohio Valley Conference West Division.
According to a report from Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports, Tennessee-Martin is expected to announce UNLV assistant coach Heath Schroyer as the new head coach. Sources told Rothstein the official announcement should be made Thursday.
Schroyer has been with UNLV since 2011 following head coaching stints at Portland State (2002-2005) and Wyoming (2007-2011).
Rothstein also reported that former Loyola Marymount head coach Max Good, who did not have his contract extended, could end up with the Runnin’ Rebels as Schroyer’s replacement.
If Schroyer does in fact become the new head coach, he will have a trio of rising seniors. Terence Smith and Myles Taylor tied as the team’s leading scorer at 14.6 points per game. Also, Marshun Newell, who averaged 10.5 points, 3.3 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game, returns.
He’d be succeeding James, who went 37-117 in five seasons. In seven seasons as a head coach, Schroyer is 85-116.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)