Mar 18, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Brandon Austin and Rodney Bullock are being investigated by Providence police for an alleged sexual assault of a student, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday night.
Austin and Bullock were both suspended on November 6th for what head coach Ed Cooley said at the time was a result of the two freshmen “not upholding their responsibilities as student-athletes.” In December, the school announced that the suspensions would be for the entire season. Bullock is still a member of the team, but Austin transferred out of the program over winter break and has since enrolled at Oregon. He’s eligible to play this December.
The report states that the alleged victim approached the Providence police department “a couple of weeks ago”, but that the incident itself occurred in November before the basketball season had started. It also states that the victim, who knew the players, went to campus police immediately after the alleged assault occurred.
Austin was unable to be reached for comment, but Bullock’s attorney told the Journal that the school carried out an investigation by a former Rhode Island state police officer, and that the police have not spoked to his client.
Austin, a 6-foot-7 point guard, was a top 50 recruit in the Class of 2013. Bullock was a top 150 recruit.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)