Mar 18, 2014, 8:29 PM EST
In 2013, for the first time in seven seasons, Xavier failed to make the NCAA tournament. This year, in a new conference Chris Mack’s Musketeers got one of the last four bids, playing NC State in the First Four on Tuesday night.
It must have been a relief to hear Xavier’s name called on Selection Sunday, but that fails in comparison to the relief Mack felt earlier this week.
“To put it into perspective, seven days ago I got a knock on my door from a neighbor,” Mack told reporters earlier this week. “He said my wife was in an auto accident. It was an eighth of a mile from my house. I got to the scene. The car went to the other side of the double-yellow, hit my wife head-on. A drunk driver. Blew a .25 with my kids in the car.”
Mack’s wife broke two bones in her left arm, while his daughters had minor injuries, according to WCPO. A post on Facebook updated their conditions and his family seems to be in good spirits about the scary ordeal.
“I’m as excited as it gets to be in the NCAA tournament,” Mack added. And, ahhh, whew … that was really, really hard.”
His Musketeers drew NC State, with ACC Player of the Year T.J. Warren in the play in game. The winner will play No. 5 seed Saint Louis in the Midwest Region. Tip is scheduled for 9:10 p.m.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)