Mar 18, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
In 2013, for the first time in seven seasons, Xavier failed to make the NCAA tournament. This year, in a new conference Chris Mack’s Musketeers got one of the last four bids, playing NC State in the First Four on Tuesday night.
It must have been a relief to hear Xavier’s name called on Selection Sunday, but that fails in comparison to the relief Mack felt earlier this week.
“To put it into perspective, seven days ago I got a knock on my door from a neighbor,” Mack told reporters earlier this week. “He said my wife was in an auto accident. It was an eighth of a mile from my house. I got to the scene. The car went to the other side of the double-yellow, hit my wife head-on. A drunk driver. Blew a .25 with my kids in the car.”
Mack’s wife broke two bones in her left arm, while his daughters had minor injuries, according to WCPO. A post on Facebook updated their conditions and his family seems to be in good spirits about the scary ordeal.
“I’m as excited as it gets to be in the NCAA tournament,” Mack added. And, ahhh, whew … that was really, really hard.”
His Musketeers drew NC State, with ACC Player of the Year T.J. Warren in the play in game. The winner will play No. 5 seed Saint Louis in the Midwest Region. Tip is scheduled for 9:10 p.m.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)