Mar 19, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
With two guards, Johnathan Loyd and Jason Calliste, among the five seniors slated to depart at the end of the season, Oregon was in the market for one more guard to help out in 2014-15. Dana Altman’s program received the commitment fans were hoping for on Wednesday, when 6-foot-5 guard JaQuan Lyle verbally committed to attend the Pac-12 school.
A native of Evansville, Ind., the Huntington Prep product announced his decision in his hometown. Oregon was one of three finalists for Lyle’s services, with Memphis and Oklahoma State being the others.
Oregon will lose five players, as stated above, with forwards Mike Moser, Richard Amardi and Waverly Austin being the others. The Ducks are now due to add six to the program this summer, with incoming freshmen Jordan Bell (originally in the 2013 class), Casey Benson and Ray Kasongo, junior college transfer Dwayne Benjamin and Providence transfer Brandon Austin joining Lyle in Oregon’s 2014 recruiting haul.
Lyle, a consensus Top 25 prospect, gives Oregon a versatile guard who has the talent needed to excel both on and off the ball under Altman’s tutelage. At Huntington Prep Lyle averaged 17.5 points, 6.6 rebounds and 5.7 assists per contest in 31 games this season per Max Preps.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)