Mar 20, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
MILWAUKEE — After a slow start that saw No. 15 seed American jump out to an early first-half lead, No. 2 seed Wisconsin settled down, made some shots and got the pro-Badger crowd involved as the Badgers breezed to a 75-35 win on Thursday in the opening Round of 64 West Region game in Milwaukee.
With the nearly-full Bradley Center turned into Kohl Center East on Thursday, the Badgers slowly grew comfortable defending American’s methodical Princeton-style offense and cruised to victory once they started knocking down shots and forcing turnovers.
The Wisconsin (27-7) defense held American (20-13) to 29 percent shooting (11-for-37) — including 15 percent shooting in the second half (3-for-19) — as senior guard Traevon Jackson led the Badgers with 18 points while senior guard Ben Brust added 17 points and sophomore forward Sam Dekker added 11 points.
After jumping out to a 19-13 lead with 8:53 remaining in the first half, the Eagles only mustered 16 points the last 28:53 of the game as American struggled to knock down shots and turnovers became a factor. Wisconsin’s defense forced 17 American turnovers and also tightened up after allowing some easy looks from the Eagle offense off of dribble hand-offs early in the first half.
The Eagles were led by junior guard John Schoof and senior center Tony Wroblicky, as they each finished with 11.
Wisconsin now moves on to face the winner of the No. 7 seed Oregon and No. 10 seed BYU game on Saturday at the Bradley Center.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led the way with 30 points for the United States, which plays Croatia Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Miles Bridges is one of the better scorers in the 2016 class.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
The US is taking on the hosts in the semifinals, with the winner getting Croatia on Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Four players from 2015 NCAA tournament programs are trying out for the Canadian national team.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Kansas won its debut overseas this summer as Wayne Selden had a big outing.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
UConn landed a quality guard in the Class of 2016.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)