Mar 21, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
It was not a good first half for either side as No. 11 seed Nebraska and No. 6 Baylor combined for 13-of-45 (1-for-17 three) after 20 minutes.
In the second half, No. 6 seed Baylor pulled away as Cory Jefferson and Isaiah Austin scored 23 combined points, en route to a 74-60 Round of 64 win over No. 11 seed Nebraska, ending the Cornhuskers impressive season, which brought them to the program’s first NCAA tournament in 16 years.
Less than nine minutes into the second half, Nebraska head coach Tim Miles was ejected, arguing calls, twice. Well, only one of them was for arguing according to Miles. The last technical, issued by Karl Hess, was assessed to Miles for leaving the coach’s box. Miles was trying to get the shot clock to start after one of his assistant coaches alerted him to the error.
“I don’t think I even swore,” Miles said after the game, according to Omaha.com.
At the time of Miles’ second technical, his team trailed 46-32 with 11:17 remaining.
The Baylor length gave the Nebraska offense trouble despite the Cornhuskers scoring the first bucket of the game. The Cornhuskers took nearly as many 3-pointers as 2-pointers in the first half, missing all 11 attempts from beyond the arc. Ray Gallegos converted on Nebraska’s first 3-pointer of the second half, cutting the lead to single digits, but Austin and Kenny Chery knocked down six straight free throws. It was in that time that Miles picked up his first technical foul.
Baylor will get the winner of No. 3 seed Creighton and No. 14 seed Louisiana-Lafayette in the West Region.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1