Mar 21, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
It was not a good first half for either side as No. 11 seed Nebraska and No. 6 Baylor combined for 13-of-45 (1-for-17 three) after 20 minutes.
In the second half, No. 6 seed Baylor pulled away as Cory Jefferson and Isaiah Austin scored 23 combined points, en route to a 74-60 Round of 64 win over No. 11 seed Nebraska, ending the Cornhuskers impressive season, which brought them to the program’s first NCAA tournament in 16 years.
Less than nine minutes into the second half, Nebraska head coach Tim Miles was ejected, arguing calls, twice. Well, only one of them was for arguing according to Miles. The last technical, issued by Karl Hess, was assessed to Miles for leaving the coach’s box. Miles was trying to get the shot clock to start after one of his assistant coaches alerted him to the error.
“I don’t think I even swore,” Miles said after the game, according to Omaha.com.
At the time of Miles’ second technical, his team trailed 46-32 with 11:17 remaining.
The Baylor length gave the Nebraska offense trouble despite the Cornhuskers scoring the first bucket of the game. The Cornhuskers took nearly as many 3-pointers as 2-pointers in the first half, missing all 11 attempts from beyond the arc. Ray Gallegos converted on Nebraska’s first 3-pointer of the second half, cutting the lead to single digits, but Austin and Kenny Chery knocked down six straight free throws. It was in that time that Miles picked up his first technical foul.
Baylor will get the winner of No. 3 seed Creighton and No. 14 seed Louisiana-Lafayette in the West Region.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)