Mar 21, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery coached the Hawkeyes in their First Four loss to Tennessee on Wednesday, doing so after flying back to Iowa City in order to be with his family as their 14-year old son underwent surgery to remove a tumor.
While the surgery went well the next step was to determine whether the tumor, which was removed from Patrick McCaffery’s thyroid, was benign or malignant (cancerous). Friday afternoon McCaffery confirmed that the tumor was in fact malignant.
“We received word from doctors that the tumor that was removed during our son Patrick’s surgery on Wednesday is malignant,” McCaffery said in a release. “We will visit with doctors as soon as possible to determine Patrick’s treatment.
“Margaret and I would like to thank everyone again for the outpouring of support from across the country for our son Patrick and family this past week. We appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers.”
Our thoughts are with Patrick and the McCaffery family.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)