Mar 21, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery coached the Hawkeyes in their First Four loss to Tennessee on Wednesday, doing so after flying back to Iowa City in order to be with his family as their 14-year old son underwent surgery to remove a tumor.
While the surgery went well the next step was to determine whether the tumor, which was removed from Patrick McCaffery’s thyroid, was benign or malignant (cancerous). Friday afternoon McCaffery confirmed that the tumor was in fact malignant.
“We received word from doctors that the tumor that was removed during our son Patrick’s surgery on Wednesday is malignant,” McCaffery said in a release. “We will visit with doctors as soon as possible to determine Patrick’s treatment.
“Margaret and I would like to thank everyone again for the outpouring of support from across the country for our son Patrick and family this past week. We appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers.”
Our thoughts are with Patrick and the McCaffery family.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)