Mar 21, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery coached the Hawkeyes in their First Four loss to Tennessee on Wednesday, doing so after flying back to Iowa City in order to be with his family as their 14-year old son underwent surgery to remove a tumor.
While the surgery went well the next step was to determine whether the tumor, which was removed from Patrick McCaffery’s thyroid, was benign or malignant (cancerous). Friday afternoon McCaffery confirmed that the tumor was in fact malignant.
“We received word from doctors that the tumor that was removed during our son Patrick’s surgery on Wednesday is malignant,” McCaffery said in a release. “We will visit with doctors as soon as possible to determine Patrick’s treatment.
“Margaret and I would like to thank everyone again for the outpouring of support from across the country for our son Patrick and family this past week. We appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers.”
Our thoughts are with Patrick and the McCaffery family.
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 5
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)