Mar 21, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery coached the Hawkeyes in their First Four loss to Tennessee on Wednesday, doing so after flying back to Iowa City in order to be with his family as their 14-year old son underwent surgery to remove a tumor.
While the surgery went well the next step was to determine whether the tumor, which was removed from Patrick McCaffery’s thyroid, was benign or malignant (cancerous). Friday afternoon McCaffery confirmed that the tumor was in fact malignant.
“We received word from doctors that the tumor that was removed during our son Patrick’s surgery on Wednesday is malignant,” McCaffery said in a release. “We will visit with doctors as soon as possible to determine Patrick’s treatment.
“Margaret and I would like to thank everyone again for the outpouring of support from across the country for our son Patrick and family this past week. We appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers.”
Our thoughts are with Patrick and the McCaffery family.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)