Mar 21, 2014, 5:36 PM EST
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery coached the Hawkeyes in their First Four loss to Tennessee on Wednesday, doing so after flying back to Iowa City in order to be with his family as their 14-year old son underwent surgery to remove a tumor.
While the surgery went well the next step was to determine whether the tumor, which was removed from Patrick McCaffery’s thyroid, was benign or malignant (cancerous). Friday afternoon McCaffery confirmed that the tumor was in fact malignant.
“We received word from doctors that the tumor that was removed during our son Patrick’s surgery on Wednesday is malignant,” McCaffery said in a release. “We will visit with doctors as soon as possible to determine Patrick’s treatment.
“Margaret and I would like to thank everyone again for the outpouring of support from across the country for our son Patrick and family this past week. We appreciate everyone’s thoughts and prayers.”
Our thoughts are with Patrick and the McCaffery family.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)