Mar 21, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
It was hard to live up to the excitement that was Thursday, with four overtime games on the first day of the 2014 NCAA Tournament. On Friday afternoon, Mercer, the No. 14 seed in the Midwest Region — nicknamed the Bracket of Death — upset No. 3 Duke, 78-71, delivering the most shocking result of the tournament so far.
In 2010, Duke won the national title. Since then, Coach K and Co. has had two Round of 64 exits. The first being in 2011 when Patriot League champion Lehigh, led by C.J. McCollum, ended the Blue Devils’ title defense. After Friday’s thrilling win, Lehigh sent this message to the Bears:
— Lehigh Athletics (@LehighSports) March 21, 2014
Mercer had the talent to be in the NCAA tournament last year, but the Bears were upset in the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament. That team would go on and become Dunk City with a run to the Sweet 16 in 2013. Florida Gulf Coast also sent along its praise:
Well played, @MercerMBB.
— FGCU Men’s Hoops (@FGCU_MBB) March 21, 2014
Mercer’s improbable win comes one day shy of the one-year anniversary of Florida Gulf Coast’s win over Georgetown. The Eagles emerged on the national scene with dunk after dunk. Remember who gave them that nickname?
Apparently FGCU is located in Dunk City, Florida
— CollegeBasketbllTalk (@CBTonNBC) March 23, 2013
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)