Mar 21, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
It was hard to live up to the excitement that was Thursday, with four overtime games on the first day of the 2014 NCAA Tournament. On Friday afternoon, Mercer, the No. 14 seed in the Midwest Region — nicknamed the Bracket of Death — upset No. 3 Duke, 78-71, delivering the most shocking result of the tournament so far.
In 2010, Duke won the national title. Since then, Coach K and Co. has had two Round of 64 exits. The first being in 2011 when Patriot League champion Lehigh, led by C.J. McCollum, ended the Blue Devils’ title defense. After Friday’s thrilling win, Lehigh sent this message to the Bears:
— Lehigh Athletics (@LehighSports) March 21, 2014
Mercer had the talent to be in the NCAA tournament last year, but the Bears were upset in the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament. That team would go on and become Dunk City with a run to the Sweet 16 in 2013. Florida Gulf Coast also sent along its praise:
Well played, @MercerMBB.
— FGCU Men’s Hoops (@FGCU_MBB) March 21, 2014
Mercer’s improbable win comes one day shy of the one-year anniversary of Florida Gulf Coast’s win over Georgetown. The Eagles emerged on the national scene with dunk after dunk. Remember who gave them that nickname?
Apparently FGCU is located in Dunk City, Florida
— CollegeBasketbllTalk (@CBTonNBC) March 23, 2013
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)