Mar 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
Mercer didn’t get a chance to play in the NCAA tournament last season, instead the team watched Atlantic Sun rival Florida Gulf Coast become the nation’s darling, making a Sweet 16 run and earning the nickname Dunk City along the way.
After a 78-71 Round of 64 upset win over No. 3 seed, the Bears made sure to put together some of their own memorable moments. While Kevin Canevari broke out something called the nae-nae dance, Mercer head coach Bob Hoffman gave an awesome postgame interview with Rachel Nichols.
In the background, Daniel Coursey did his best Ric Flair impression with a pair of, “Wooos!” At the :05 second mark you can see Anthony White Jr. videobomb his head coach with a robot dance straight out of Chappelle’s Show.
Then there was the interview itself.
With his voice cracking, Hoffman tells Nichols, “You’re never too old to celebrate.”
Moments later he yelled out, “Praise the Lord! Woo!”
Harvard and North Dakota State advanced after upsets on Thursday and several other mid-majors are looking to become Cinderellas as well. But it’ll be hard to top how Mercer has captivated all of college basketball on Friday afternoon.
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 0
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 0
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)