Mar 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Mercer didn’t get a chance to play in the NCAA tournament last season, instead the team watched Atlantic Sun rival Florida Gulf Coast become the nation’s darling, making a Sweet 16 run and earning the nickname Dunk City along the way.
After a 78-71 Round of 64 upset win over No. 3 seed, the Bears made sure to put together some of their own memorable moments. While Kevin Canevari broke out something called the nae-nae dance, Mercer head coach Bob Hoffman gave an awesome postgame interview with Rachel Nichols.
In the background, Daniel Coursey did his best Ric Flair impression with a pair of, “Wooos!” At the :05 second mark you can see Anthony White Jr. videobomb his head coach with a robot dance straight out of Chappelle’s Show.
Then there was the interview itself.
With his voice cracking, Hoffman tells Nichols, “You’re never too old to celebrate.”
Moments later he yelled out, “Praise the Lord! Woo!”
Harvard and North Dakota State advanced after upsets on Thursday and several other mid-majors are looking to become Cinderellas as well. But it’ll be hard to top how Mercer has captivated all of college basketball on Friday afternoon.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)