Mar 21, 2014, 10:22 PM EST
Cleanthony Early scored 23 points to lead No. 1 Wichita State to a convincing win over No. 16 Cal Poly, 64-37.
Early was the only Shocker starter that scored more than seven points, but it didn’t really matter. The Mustangs were totally and completely overwhelmed by Wichita State’s defense. They finished the night shooting 20.7% from the floor, a marked improvement over the 4-for-29 that they shot in the first 20 minutes.
Wichita State was up 30-8 midway through the first half. None of their starters played more that 28 minutes, and only two guys played more than 20.
The Shockers will advance to face the winner of tonight’s No. 8 Kentucky-No. 9 Kansas State game, which makes their easy night all the more important. Their legs aren’t going to be tired heading into Sunday. The battle of the Wildcats is going to be a war.
Wichita State didn’t get many breaks when the bracket was released, but being able to play the early game and relax on Friday night as these two teams fight for their season is an advantage, however small.
The win pushes Wichita State to 35-0 on the season, but the real test of that undefeated record is going to come on Sunday. Regardless of who they end up playing, it will be the best team that the Shockers have faced this year.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)